Replace a ceiling rose - double-check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've taken a look at the sticky thread on light wiring... I just want to double-check that my idea is right for what I want to do, before I take a trip to A&E.

I have this existing ceiling rose in my room (simple 1-way switch)...

light1.jpg

And I have this new light fitting...

light2.jpg

The first picture makes sense to me - it's kinda how I'd expect to see a light fitting wired-up (except maybe there are more of the L and N wires than I'd expect from looking at other Internet diagrams today)... but the new fitting that I've bought (brand new) only has a simple 3-way box.

Do I just cram the 2 (3 if you include the wire to the light) blues into N and cram the 4 (5 if you include the wire to the light) browns into L? I think that's all I can really do with this light fitting... is that right?

The other thought was whether I join the middle 3 L wires together in a snap-off chocolate box to reduce the number of wires I'm trying to put into a single terminal?

Sponsored Links
The other thought was whether I join the middle 3 L wires together in a snap-off chocolate box to reduce the number of wires I'm trying to put into a single terminal?

Yeap you need to do this.

THese need to be kept separate other wise the light would be on all the time.

The rose has 3 terminal blocks + earth and you need to keep the wires like the rose is.

The normal is to replace the chock block for a bit with four terminals and use the extra one for all the browns in the centre (permanent line) some do shove the wires into the ceiling but this can result in some one getting injured when working under floor boards in room above.

Sponsored Links
The new light is a brand new light from the Internet company called Made. I am a bit surprised that it wouldn't have come with a better / more suitable arrangement. Are all new light fittings like this, or are they shipping stuff out that isn't really right for a normal UK light fitting?

Some designed for British market do have the extra terminal but many don't and electricians carry the connector strips ready. Normally 12 terminals and you cut to size.

Are all new light fittings like this, or are they shipping stuff out that isn't really right for a normal UK light fitting?
Most of them are. They are generally 'designed' by those who have never installed any kind of electrical item, or have any idea of how lighting systems are wired.

They are then optimised to be as cheap to manufacture as possible, resulting in the smallest available terminals being used, little or no space for wiring, and fixing brackets which require at least 3 hands when attaching the light to the ceiling.

They are generally 'designed' by those who have never installed any kind of electrical item, or have any idea of how lighting systems are wired.

Not really. 3-plate isn't that common in most countries. They are designed primarily for the continental market presumably.

...resulting in the smallest available terminals being used, little or no space for wiring, and fixing brackets which require at least 3 hands when attaching the light to the ceiling.

This was my experience, but I got there in the end. Screwfix, some 1.5mm twin and earth cable and 3-way Wago boxes came to my rescue in the end, I would never have done it by just connecting the existing wires coming out of the ceiling into the light fitting's rose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back