Replace bar lights with spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking into possibility of replacing 2 ceiling bars with 4 lights in the kitchen with downlighters for a smarter look.

Before getting a sparky involved how much work/cost involved? I guess need to know where the joists are in order to cut the holes?

Attachments

• P_20200702_120806.jpg
    P_20200702_120806.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 254
Sponsored Links
Have you looked at LED strips? You could run them above the cupboards. I've recently replaced downlighters with LED strips, and I can now see things in the kitchen without a headtorch. It's also a lot less work and disruption to install than sticking torches in holes in the ceiling.

Have you looked at LED strips? You could run them above the cupboards. I've recently replaced downlighters with LED strips, and I can now see things in the kitchen without a headtorch. It's also a lot less work and disruption to install than sticking torches in holes in the ceiling.

yes I've got triangular lights under the cupboards but LED strips would be better. Unfortunately someone decided to the lights then tile around them afterwards so difficult to now upgrade.

Attachments

• P_20200702_210806.jpg
    P_20200702_210806.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 213
Sponsored Links
Yes, with no access from above there will be damage to the ceiling to enable cabling. Replacing with LED bar lights a better option.

Is the ceiling plasterboard, having 2 lights could be a bonus, as 4 strategically placed downlight holes may be enough to reroute the existing wires and use the old wires to draw in new ones, joins within the ceiling are best avoided if possible.
Another thought is 2 nice pendant lights and wire out to the 4 spotlights from them, though will all be on same switch and subject to the doors or your head hitting them

You could always (not the best choice for look or fixing cables) but if the joist runs friendy pull a cable through to the wall edge then run a surface trunk along the wall / ceiling above the units and then feed cable behind ceiling to chosen downlight positions it isnt to bad a look and then patch up the areas where cables come through now. Spacing is looking a little tight as looks like its very narrow one end.

yes I've got triangular lights under the cupboards but LED strips would be better. Unfortunately someone decided to the lights then tile around them afterwards so difficult to now upgrade.
I'm suggesting you run long LED strips on the ceiling, above the cupboards.

Thanks for all responses. I think as this is ambient lighting, will probably go for flush ceiling or bar lights using existing fittings. Being a narrow kitchen and low ceiling pendant not so good.

Thanks for all responses. I think as this is ambient lighting, will probably go for flush ceiling or bar lights using existing fittings. Being a narrow kitchen and low ceiling pendant not so good.
A couple of flush ceiling lights will be the best option here, it will provide a MUCH better quality of light compared to than awful spot light bars and is something that could be done easily without having to start ripping the ceiling apart

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back