Replace CU or have a PIR done first, or both?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just moved into a house and I want to ensure that the electrics are up to scratch, looking at the fusebox it is an older style box (old style fuses built in the 70's I believe) and I definitely want to get it replaced with the newer CU that has flipswitches RCD etc.

So my question really is will in the course of having the CU replaced most of the other electrics be tested or would I also need to have a PIR to be completely assured of electrical safety?

On a similar matter currently my meter is in the garage which I intend to have moved to allow us to convert the garage into extra living space, would it be wise to have the meter moved THEN carry out internal electrical work or does the meter moving not really matter?

As you can probably guess from my name and the questions I have asked I am not the most knowledgeable on these matters so any professional advice would be appreciated so I can at least go into discussions with local electricians armed with a basic knowledge of what I need to have done! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
When a CU is replaced by a qualified and competent electrician, all the circuits will be tested before the CU is changed, if there are any problems they will need to be remedied and then the CU change can commence. Usual problems that need work are earthing and bonding plus lighting circuits without a CPC.

How far is the meter going to be moved and how far from the CU is the meter currently? It will probably be easier to arrange for the meter to be moved first and request an isolator switch be fitted at the same time. Then get the CU changed.

When you arrange for your garage to be converted you will no doubt require extra electrical work to be done at the same time, such as additional sockets and lights. Therefore you might as well do all the work in one go. I.e. get your consumer unit changed and resite your meter etc. at the same.
Just talk it over with your electrician.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply,

The meter shouldn't be moving more than 10-15 ft (I hope!) basically at the moment it is at the rear of my garage and I want it to go out the front of the house (so the other end of the garage in other words)

I thought it made the most sense to have the meter moved first as it all has to obviously connect into that at some point! :LOL:

I suppose I just need to find a qualified and competent electrician now, anyone know any in the milton keynes area they can recommend?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back