Replace disintegrating asbestos boiler chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old boiler, working perfectly well, located in a lean-to at the back of the house, connected to an asbestos chimney pipe which goes, in sections, through the (corrugated plastic) roof of the lean-to, up the back wall of the house and finishes about 8m up above the gutter. The bottom of the chimney, inside the lean-to, has blown, with fibrous lumps which can be picked off.
If I replace the chimney (as opposed to getting a whole new boiler), what should I replace it with, stainless steel flue pipes? Any other thoughts on getting rid of the old pipe, or pros and cons of going for a new boiler, welcome.

Sponsored Links
Running external flue pipes requires the flue to be specially insulated( to minimise internal condensation) if the run is over (I think) 3M. The flue is eye wateringly expensive.
From what you have said I would suggest that your boiler is old? and you have to judge how long it will last after renewing the flue.

I've just quoted a Job in Herts using 3.5 mtrs + elbows ,brackets, cleaning tee & terminal, all 130mm twin wall S/Steel suitable for a SEDBUK Class D oil fired boiler a tad over £1k as said S/Steel twin wall is very expensive, unfortunately no one makes a cheaper flue for oil nowadays and S/Steel has become the norm! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that guys. Yes the boiler is old, we've been here 13 years and I suspect it was here for that long again before us - Potterton Kingfisher CF50 if that helps - but my thinking was its lasted this long and there's not much that can go wrong with it - so it was the expense of keeping it I was trying to discover, so your input was very helpful Boilerman 2. The overall length is about 4m, so similar to yours, but the boiler is gas rather than oil. Do you know if twin wall s/steel is still required?

With a Gas boiler there are still twin-wall non S/Steel options available, whcih would cost less such as Rite vent Gasvent however as the boiler is likely to be around 25 years old it may be a good time to update with a new Condensing boiler with a suitable flue system ;)

You will be lucky if your boiler is 60% efficient.

With all that wasted gas a replacement boiler is seriously good value.

Because boilers now can use balanced flues close to the boiler the fitted cost could be about £1500.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back