Replace Double Glazed Window In Wood Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning

We have a couple of Double Glazed windows (26 years old) that needs replacing in our Wooden Frame Windows but am just after a bit of advice on what Sealant/Silicone/Compound is needed to put the window in. Please bear with me

If it is Silicone, does it have to be Low Modulus Silicone? I have read some of the LMS are not advisable on Double Glazing

I have removed one of the windows (without breaking it:)) and put it back for photo purposes as shown

It seemed before the whole window was fixed in with some sealant or putty type stuff. Whatever it was hard and a bit of a job cleaning it all off

Reading on where I keep calling it a Frame, is it known as the Rebate:)?

1- As you can see it has all been cleaned up...the frame that is (old glazing is a bit mucky but the timber is clean). There was no evidence of any Spacers when I took the old glazing out, but do I need to put a couple of Spacers between the bottom of the window and the frame? and do I need to bed the double glazing in some glazing compound or can a Sealant/Silicone be used?

XNmTNZL.jpg

2- With the Double Glazing took out and all cleaned up (Top Left Of The Window Frame) Side of Frame (with the light mark) and Back Of Frame (towards the inside of house) visible

PA1q2Po.jpg

3- There is now a gap between the Glass and the Frame on the sides (3). Does this need to be filled in with anything? When I took the old double glaze out, this gap was full of some rock hard seal/putty type stuff all around

pT5G9Wv.jpg

X1OU16n.jpg

4- Does any Double Glazing Sealant/Silicone need to be applied between the Bead and the Frame and Glass or do you use Window Frame Sealant? I have the Pins for the Beading.

This picture is same as the last two but with the bead (If I removed the bead that gap would be there)

jLmq3Tl.jpg

5- The new window as collected from glaziers is shown with some black tape around the edge

oXYZJQI.jpg

6- Taken from the inside, this is the other window that is the same as what is being replaced

ILFS0OY.jpg

Thanks for any advice

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back