Replace flat felt roof with felt? And where to source a panoroof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

1. We have a 6m x 4m slightly pitched flat felt bitumen roof on a single storey extension to the rear of the house in East London. It has been fine for over 20 years but we have had an occasional small leak (drips rather than pours) from the same spot in the worst of the recent heavy rains. There are no obvious cracks, holes or tears in joins.

The roof wasn't new when we bought the house, so is well past 20 years old, so replacing it now seems reasonable, and we will use the opportunity to fit a 1m x 2m flat rooflight. The recommended local roofer in the area has a waiting list but has now quoted us £3200 + VAT to strip & replace with '3 layers of high performance felt finished in mineral'. Price includes boxing in soil stack (as he says this can be prone to leaks otherwise) create window opening, 4 x new flashings, chasing in, and additional timber work to fit light (light to be supplied by us). Not including any electrics or redecoration.

The local roofer is well thought of but only works in traditional materials. Should we approach someone for an alternative EPDM or GRP quote? If the current roof is largely sound, can the EPDM be fitted over it, and so be a quicker (= less expensive?) job?

2. Rooflight Supply - the roofer has said we should order our own light. Is that usual? There seem to be dozens of different firms supplying the same type of panoroof lights, some with less history behind them than others. Is there one main supplier that supplies to all of these firms? As it would make sense to order from them. Or are they all making up their own lights?

Any feedback would be really appreciated. I'm not averse to felt if it makes sense still, and it may well be that the quality of the installation/fitting is as equally as important as the materials. Cheers and stay safe.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Vinty. Felt doesn't seem to be mentioned much on here at all any more, hence my general query.

The felt roof chap has now advised max 5 year guarantee and that this is not transferrable if we were to sell the house, so it sounds like EPDM is worth looking into. Depends on cost and availability of contractors I guess.

be aware of building regs,

with the work planned you will have to insulate / add insulation to the roof,

as an alternative try the below company, i had them out a few years back and was very good and comparably priced to other roofing systems, we also have a friend that used them recently and are more than happy with the quality of work.

https://www.hightechmembraneroofing...g-control-about-my-new-flat-roof-installation

with the advent of modern technology i am unable to see the merit of felt roofing other than for sheds these days.

Sponsored Links
Thanks sxturbo for the advice and the recommendation I will take a look. The roofer mentioned insulation would cost more if we wanted it, but not that it was a requirement under new building regs. So, good to know this.

Did my own once , 7x4m in Epdm , removed felt over boarded with ply then glued down new. £800+ for materials (probably double that now). Hardest job was carrying the new up a ladder , good job I have strong legs.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm getting a quote from another local roofer in EPDM and also from High Tech Membrane recommended above that works in PVC. They will quote for the supply and fit of the Rooflight as well rather than me having to order in. Just need to decide on one bigger rooflight or 2 smaller ones now.

Update - local roofer that works in EPDM has quoted slightly less than felt roof fro similar job, and the work would include a transferrable guarantee. Hightechmembrane (recommended above) visited and were very thorough but are 4 time more expensive albeit not like for like. Like for like probably 3 x more so that counts them out. Trying to decide on rooflight vs lantern now and will do a separate post. Thanks everyone so much for your help and input.

You may need planning for lantern as that may raise height of roof, be warned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back