Replace fused spur socket with smart switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a fused spur switch that powers a floor heater in the kitchen. I am wanting to be able to turn it in on/off remotely just like how I am able to do with my central heating system.

I haven't been able to find a suitable smart spur switch so it looks like I will need to wire in a fuse behind the wall before it gets to the smart switch.

Is this something that can be done? I don't mind loosing easy access to the fuse.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just put it adjacent/below the Fused Connector Unit - or anywhere else appropriate.

You should still have an FCU controlling the central heating system.

Unfortunately the FCU is on a tiled wall and I don't have the tools to be able to cut through it to create a new hole for the smart switch. Otherwise I would have replaced the FCU with a none switching version and then created a new hole for a smart switch and routed the wiring through it.

My heating is controlled by Hive which controls my Gas Combi Boiler and is completely separate from my floor heater in the kitchen. By wiring my floor heater up to a smart switch I can finally turn on/off the heating remotely for all my rooms in my flat.

Unfortunately the FCU is on a tiled wall and I don't have the tools to be able to cut through it to create a new hole for the smart switch.
Such is life. Buy tools or employ someone who has them.

Otherwise I would have replaced the FCU with a none switching version and then created a new hole for a smart switch and routed the wiring through it.
You should retain the FCU whatever else you do.

My heating is controlled by Hive which controls my Gas Combi Boiler and is completely separate from my floor heater in the kitchen. By wiring my floor heater up to a smart switch I can finally turn on/off the heating remotely for all my rooms in my flat.
Yes, but you said "I am wanting to be able to turn it in on/off remotely just like how I am able to do with my central heating system" as if it were an alternative to having FCU. It is not.

Sponsored Links
Not if you mean hidden away and inaccessible.

If you want new accessories they must be installed properly.

A twin surface back box should allow you to fit both.
thumbnail_xgdoz8w6678t0ov3.jpg
However as to what smart relay will work with your system is another question, and some will foul on the top and bottom screw holes. I found although it says they will work with IFTTT so in theory you can set if central heating running then run the under floor as well, in practice it often will not work.

Also the whole idea of controlling with the internet is dependent on rapid response, so when it detects your phone is within 10 miles from home the geofencing will turn on the heating, however that means it has around 30 minutes to warm up, and underfloor heating I had took 30 minutes before floor got warm and for that heat to get into room takes hours, so rather pointless using internet controls on some thing with such a slow response time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back