1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Fused Spur - Smart switch alternative?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by kopite1592, 6 Sep 2021.

1. kopite1592

kopite1592

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi
    I’ve got a set of lights above the kitchen cupboards that are turned on and off by a fused spur switch. The switch is in a bit of an awkward location and I was wondering if there is any smart switch/WiFi controlled switches that could be an alternative?
    we have quite a lot of smart plugs and bulbs around the house, so it would fit in with the system and how we used the place, but I’m struggling to find anything obvious and suitable.
    Cheers.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. RandomGrinch

RandomGrinch

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Last edited: 6 Sep 2021
  4. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    on and off by a fused spur switch

It maybe that the fuse is essential, depends on where the power for lamps comes from.

If from a 6 Amp lighting circuit then a fuse may not be necessary
    If from a 32 Amp power circuit ( sockets etc ) then a fuse is necessary

5. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Those Sonoff modules are perfect for the job, I have a few doing similar jobs. Only irritant is there's nowhere in the module to terminate earth, so if you're controlling Class 1 devices you'll need the Sonoff in an enclosure. The relay doesn't like 2kw load either, 1kw or less is fine

• Like Like x 1
  6. kopite1592

kopite1592

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies.
    As you will have guessed, I’m not great with electrics and I’ll be getting a qualified spark in to do the job but I just wanted to know if it was possible and what sort of job it was.

it’s basically a fused spur controlling IKEA above cupboard spotlights. So not sure if that helps with the advice. Is these…
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/urshult-led-cabinet-lighting-nickel-plated-30260402/

7. RandomGrinch

RandomGrinch

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If it's that exact model, there is already an IKEA wireless driver for those lamps:
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tradfri-driver-for-wireless-control-grey-50356187/
    If it is, it should just plug into your existing connections; you may already have it!
    You may need to check the wattage of the lamps you have. There is a 30W driver available also.

8. Sponsored Links