Replace geberic washer??

Sponsored Links
Sorry ,don't follow you ?
The washer between pan and cistern is accessible once the two have been seperated.

I’ve not looked recently, but there are two butterfly screws only holding this by the looks of it.

Here are photos.
How do I get the unit out of the cistern?

Attachments

• IMG_6757.jpeg
    IMG_6757.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6756.jpeg
    IMG_6756.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
Close off the water supply ,and release the supply from the float valve.
Flush toilet and sponge out any remaining water from cistern.
The cistern would likely be screwed to the wall, remove the screws.
Then unscrew the wing nuts that hold the cistern to pan,and pull cistern upward off the pan.
You will see the nut that holds the flush valve on the cistern base.
A new do nut washer will be needed to fit between cistern and pan before refitting. And a new washer fitted where the water supply connects to the float valve.

Lift the cistern upward ,off the pan. So you would be completely removing it from the pan.

So the Center bit will come out with the cistern?

Attachments

• IMG_6758.jpeg
    IMG_6758.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 25
So the Center bit will come out with the cistern?
Yes ,its held on with a large nut on the underside.
And unscrew the water supply?
Yes ,isolate the water supply first. Then loosen the silver hexagonal nut from the threaded tail of the float valve, whilst gripping the isolation valve body with a set of grips ,to prevent it from turning and loosening the joint to supply pipe.

Ok got it
Do you think this rubber is the cause?
I’ve changed just this before and all ok

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 29
Could be. I assumed you had drawn the conclusion that the seal between the flush valve and inside of cistern was the cause ,hence you wanting to remove the flush valve.

Gaz,
The last pic is an iso valve … the flat screw should be pointing vertically if you turn it horizontally it cuts off the water supply. Inside the iso there will
Be a fibre 1/2 washer I’d suggest replacing this when re fitting the toilet … the iso valve will disconnect from the cistern at the point the female nut attaches to the inlet valve.
Turn it anti clock wise

If you look under the toilet pan directly under the cistern you will see two bolts, these need undoing anti clockwise, sometimes they are really rusted so I tend just to cut them off. I tend to undo these before removing the two screws at the back inside the cistern attaching to the wall

The seal you are on about is a cistern kit or dough nut seal… there are a couple of different designs depending on your toilet but you won’t know until
You remove the cistern.

The inlet valve and syphon can be removed from under the cistern when it’s off.

Don’t forget to flush your toilet first as it will be far less water inside the cistern to deal with but flush after the iso is turned off

Re assembly is just in reverse but clean everything first , you’ll need some slip joints for the syphon if you haven’t the right tools.

I just put a little smudge of silicon on the inlet and syphon washes but that’s just habit if you fit it right you don’t need it.

The syphon whiles are different sizes usually 1 1/2 - 2 inch

Best wishes
Jake

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back