Replace Glazig due to broken seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a large picture window in our front room 5.3 feet high by 7.5 foot wide. There are large areas of mist between the panes due to a leak in the sealant.

I saw an advert where the sealant could be repaired and the mist removed but digging around, it seems that this is not a solution.

I have just replaced a faulty boiler so it is now time to replace my window and have a few questions.

1. If the seal is broken, then I guess it makes the DG inefficient. Is there a significant amount of heat that will be lost through this window?

2. One glazier I spoke to said that this is an oversized window and the replacement cost would be high (~ £700) as the supplier would charge a 30% surcharge. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. In theory yes but by how much well......who knows???

2. Yes its a big window but to a glass shop it shouldn't be much of a big deal unless they're not equipped to make units as large as that, maybe the automated glass washer is too small to put it through and would need need cleaning by hand, maybe the actual handballing of it is too much for them, maybe its too big for they're benches, maybe they just want you to believe its an awkward job and you need to pay extra.

I'd get some more quotes, its not like your old unit is about to drop out

Good luck :D

That is a whopping bit of glass.. would have to be safety glass now IIRC?.

Now if it is already safety glass then a good double glazing repairer could cut and re seal the unit, should he feel the need..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back