Replace Hive with Nest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a Hive Active Heating 1 system installed that I would like to replace with a Nest Thermostat v3. I think I understand the wiring but I'd like confirmation.

The Worcester Greenstar 24Ri boiler and hot water tank are wired into the Hive receiver as per the following diagram.

My understanding is N (terminal 1) and L (terminal 2) go into the Nest Heat Link N and L. Then I bridge L into the Heatlink 2 and 5 and finally Hive terminals 5 (DHW On) goes to Heatlink 6 and Hive 6 (HTG On) goes to Heatlink 3.

Sponsored Links
Why not upgrade to hive v2?
I've just moved house and there was a Hive 1 installed. I could not for the life of me get the thing to register so I could control it online and I've previously used the Nest system. The price difference between upgrading to Hive 2 or Nest was similar so I chose Nest without install because it didn't look too complicated o make the change myself.

Sponsored Links
Success! Thanks everyone!

IMG_5970.JPG

Why didn't you install the heat link next to the boiler and the thermostat somewhere else?

This was the location of the original Hive receiver - I just pit the Heatlink in exactly the same place and put the Thermostat below so if could power it off the Heatlink. It's reasonably centrally located in the house so seem so ok to me.

Now google will know when the house is occupied and when empty. Targeted telemarketing coming your way....

I currently have a Hive Active Heating 1 system installed that I would like to replace with a Nest Thermostat v3. I think I understand the wiring but I'd like confirmation.

The Worcester Greenstar 24Ri boiler and hot water tank are wired into the Hive receiver as per the following diagram.

My understanding is N (terminal 1) and L (terminal 2) go into the Nest Heat Link N and L. Then I bridge L into the Heatlink 2 and 5 and finally Hive terminals 5 (DHW On) goes to Heatlink 6 and Hive 6 (HTG On) goes to Heatlink 3.

Hi there, I would really appreciate some help of you.
I am doing something very similar at the moment as yourself for very much similar reasons as you.

Couple of questions for you.

1) I have a British Gas (branded) UT2 switch next to my boiler (downstairs) only for heating water - do you have something similar?
2) My receiver wiring is something slightly different to yours (see pic attached).
3) Could you be kind enough to take a pic of your completed wiring inside the nest receiver?
4) are you now able to control both the heating and hot water supply at your property controlled through NEST Thermostat?
FullSizeRender.jpg

If your heating and hot water controls are separated like that the wiring will need to be altered quite substantially, and the new receiver wired back to the wiring centre, and the old controls removed. The controller will be able to control heating and hot water. Wiring diagrams are included in the nest instruction manual.

Thank you for reply ECHO, very kind of you to do that.

I reckon I would rather just control the heating then with the NEST Thermostat and leave the hot water supply completely as it is.

Keeping that in mind, I could then just connect like for like from the current setup to the nest for it to all function?
i.e. N to N, L to L, 1 to 1 and 3 to 3.
IMG_0066.JPG

This looks like you have single channel receiver wiring for heating only
IMG_0255.PNG

So from left to to right you would map this to the Nest Heatlink:
0 (blue) -> N (neutral)
1 (brown -> L (live) and also bridge to Nest terminal 2 common
2 (grey) -> make safe with some heat shrink or electrical tape
4 (black) -> call for heat (Nest terminal 3)
6 (yellow green) -> earth

IMG_0256.PNG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back