Replace Honeywell with Hive 2 on Valliant EcoTec 831

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I have a honeywell thermostat and I assumed it would be easy to replace it with a Hive 2. The honeywell only has 3 wires. Do I need to run extra wires from the boiler to the hive 2? Any help with installation appreciated

Pictures of the honeywell attached.

Attachments

• IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_1658.JPG
    IMG_1658.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1664.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1665.JPG
    IMG_1665.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 255
Sponsored Links
It all depends on which boiler you have and how it is turned on. If it uses mains voltage switching, you should be OK as terminals A and B of the old stat must carry mains voltage, so there is power available for the receiver to be located where the current stat is. But if the boiler uses low voltage switching, the receiver will have to be located somewhere else.

Boiler info please (make and exact model).

It all depends on which boiler you have and how it is turned on. If it uses mains voltage switching, you should be OK as terminals A and B of the old stat must carry mains voltage, so there is power available for the receiver to be located where the current stat is. But if the boiler uses low voltage switching, the receiver will have to be located somewhere else.

Boiler info please (make and exact model).

ecoTEC Plus 831 VUW GB - 316/3-5. Picture attached

Attachments

• IMG_1668.JPG
    IMG_1668.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 219
The Ecotec Plus 831 uses mains switching. It is also a combi boiler, which makes it easier.

Do you have a multimeter (and know how to use it)?

If so, check which wire, red or yellow, is live when the stat is turned down (Use the blue as Neutral). You will have to turn the boiler timer to CH On.

The live wire goes to L terminal and Blue to N. The third wire goes to terminal 3. You also need to link terminal L to terminal 1.

The boiler timer will have to be set to "always ON".

Sponsored Links
The Ecotec Plus 831 uses mains switching. It is also a combi boiler, which makes it easier.

Do you have a multimeter (and know how to use it)?

If so, check which wire, red or yellow, is live when the stat is turned down (Use the blue as Neutral). You will have to turn the boiler timer to CH On.

The live wire goes to L terminal and Blue to N. The third wire goes to terminal 3. You also need to link terminal L to terminal 1.

The boiler timer will have to be set to "always ON".

Thanks for all your help. ill fit it this weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back