Replace Internal Door Frame

SBH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a door from lounge to dining area, with a frame and a ad looking 60s glass panel. I am removing this, and putting in a new frame and door, and will stud the remaining hole where the glass pannel was.
Is there anything i should be worried about. Not done this before but it seems easy...

Sponsored Links
On some "non structural" walls (especially where the wall is only 1 storey in height) you may find that the frame itself is holding up the masonary above. (ie, the top of the frame could itself be a wooden lintel). After all, it may only be a couple of breze blocks sitting on top of the frame to complete the full height of the wall.

Under these circumstances knocking out the frame could result in some of the masonary above falling down. Although this could hurt, you are unlikely to do any major damage to your home. Obviously the making good after this minor disaster would inlude a bit of plastering and even making good where the wall meets the ceilings each side.

Where the wall has a more structural role in the building, there would be a more substantial support above the door. (usually in the form of a concrete or steel lintol). Ironically this actually makes your job easier as knocking the frame out will not result in the senario just described.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back