Replace laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I lifted up the ageing laminate in the kitchen of the apartment where I moved into recently and noticed what loomed like reasonable tiling.
Having decided the laminate had to go I then found the reason with it had been covered over; cracks in some of the tiles and bits of plywood between the tiles, probably something to do with gas , electrics or water I presume.

I'm thinking of putting a high quality vinyl floor down or click flooring. The tiles are a bit uneven bit not too bad. I noticed. A slight slope. It's an old building, third floor up.
Can I put a decent vinyl floor on top of the tiles and plywood? Not keen on more tiles or laminate but open to ideas which are cost effective but will last.

Attachments

• P_20200613_145233.jpg
    P_20200613_145233.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 263
  • P_20200613_145831.jpg
    P_20200613_145831.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 251
Sponsored Links
Hardboard is 3.2mm in general. For 6mm you may need to look at 6mm hardwood ply to get the thickness in one piece

Sponsored Links
Standard 6mm hardboard will be ideal .
Now that's odd - in my lifetime hardboard has always been 1/8in, or 3.2mm, anfd that's what gets delivered if we order hardboard. The 1/4in (6.3mm) stuff is referred to by the timber merchants we use as Masonite (or sometimes oil tempered hardboard).

I think plywood 6mm. is the way to go. Liquid nails or similar a good adhesive as a tacky glue? i don't want to make it near impossible to remove the floor sometime down the line.

I think plywood 6mm. is the way to go. Liquid nails or similar a good adhesive as a tacky glue? i don't want to make it near impossible to remove the floor sometime down the line.
Providing the tiles are degreased first (sugar soap solution or caustic soda) a grip adhesive (e.g GripFill, Pink Grip etc) should do the job

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be concerned about the tile shapes eventually telegraphing through. With somerhing like plywood that can't happen

It needs a SLC and a primer.

Id use Uzin PE280 grit primer Over the ceramics then a 4mm coat of Uzin NC196 fibre smoothing compound. Will be flat and nice and smooth ready for your vinyl.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back