Replace LED chip in security light - Good source?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a non-ebay source for the high powered LEDs that go into security flood lights. I never realised replacing one (or finding a good replacement) would be so difficult.

I though these things were so common now that finding a replacement LED chip would be easy, but the only source for them seem to be ebay, which I am always weary of.

How many of these security lights must get throw out as soon as they break because of this. Most people won't bother buying a new LED and replacing it themselves. I naively thought the replacement LED would be easily available at least in maplins....it seems not.

$_12.JPG

These are they type I am talking about.

Anyone have a good source that supply good quality replacements?

Many Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Just buy a cheap replacement chip and change it again when it goes. The 5 or 6 faulty floods I've tested have all had working LEDs but faulty PSUs.

If you don''t like ebay, other places are available, such as http://www.banggood.com/search/led-chip.html

the replacement LED would be easily available at least in maplins..
While maplin was originally an electronic component supplier, their current business appears to consist of buying up factory reject electronic gadgets and selling them at prices far above everyone else.

Sponsored Links
That is true, the psu could always be the cause.

I am just thinking more in terms of general public who won't bother to replace a cheap/simple LED. While the old halogens required a quick bulb swap, there is a lot more to it (for most people) with these LED ones. So it is far more likely the whole thing will end up in the bin.

With so many cheap and nasty ones about, I guess it will become more and more common to see them in the skip.

Good for the manufactures, bad for consumer I guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back