Replace led transformer with LED driver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bunch of light fittings that eat electricity, however, I want to keep the fittings.

So, replacing the transformer with a driver to enable the proper fitting of low voltage LEDs seem to be the sensible option.

In selecting the correct driver do I just have to add up the total watts output and select an appropriate driver based on that? I would also need one compatible with dimming. Is there anything else to consider when looking at the specification?

I have at least three fittings that use 10 x 10w G4 bulbs. So that is 300w I could reduce to 30w using LEDs.

Any reccomendations as to reliable brands. Osram seem to produce good drivers, any others which are recommended?

Something like this?

http://www.simplyled.co.uk/20-60va-led-compatible-dimmable-electronic-transformer/

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So, replacing the transformer with a driver to enable the proper fitting of low voltage LEDs seem to be the sensible option.

Which means you will have a driver supplying a driver.

Drivers have a controlled current output.
Transformers have a constant voltage ouput.

Hmm. I don't like to be pedantic, but doesn't the output of a transformer vary proportionally with the voltage on the input?

Back to the OP
Re dimming. The driver and the LED lamps need to be dimmerable. Also the dimmer needs to be compatible with an LED load.
Many "legacy" dimmers do not work unless they have a decent load on them. Commonly that means a minimum of 60watts.
You can buy low load dimmers designed for use with LEDs. V-pro seem to be well thought of.

Which means you will have a driver supplying a driver.

Drivers have a controlled current output.

Driver supplying a driver? I am not sure what you mean.

Just for clarification. I thought a transformer was what controlled the voltage output for normal low voltage as AC for incandecent type lighting and a Driver controlled the low voltage as DC for low voltage led lighting.

So when I ment replace, I ment removing the AC transformer and replacing it with a LED Driver.

Sponsored Links
Driver supplying a driver? I am not sure what you mean.

Just for clarification. I thought a transformer was what controlled the voltage output for normal low voltage as AC for incandecent type lighting and a Driver controlled the low voltage as DC for low voltage led lighting.

So when I ment replace, I ment removing the AC transformer and replacing it with a LED Driver.

A transformer changes voltage or current up or down by electro magnetic induction without changing frequency.

LEDs require extra low voltage (not low voltage) and can be supplied via a DC power supply.

Not always that easy when you add dimming to the equation, more so when dimming 10 LED regardless of the load, best look at the manufacturers website as they often have tried and tested combos.

Even big brands like Megaman quote.

*Noise: During operation some combinations of approved dimmers and LED lamp may experience a buzzing sound. LEDs have no components that move however the phenomenon can still exist on occasions and this is often due to the circuitry in the dimmer and the lamp. It does not signify a fault or warranty issue and we strive to reduce any noise if present with continued development along with major dimming and controls manufacturers. For further compatibility information please contact your dimmer manufacturer.

The LED G4 is available both 12 volt and 230 volt AC and DC, this advert simply says 12 volt, however if you look at the picture is says 50/60 Hz so clearly designed for AC not DC. There are also specials designed to kid the switched mode power supply (often labelled as electronic transformer) that the bulb is much bigger than it is. As already said a driver is a current regulated supply, however the lighting industry seems to love mixing and matching labels, if some thing replaces a device they give it the name of the device it replaces even when it is very different, so you can get 12 VDC voltage regulated power supplies labelled driver.

The whole ELV lighting scene is a nightmare, it to be fair always has been, with the number of coils in a quartz bulb reacting to the Mhz output of the power supply causing some really odd effects, but today one has to be so careful that the devices use all match.

I was second time lucky with my ELV lighting, I know have 4 Lidi G5.3 spot lights working from my 200 VA transformer without a problem, first set did not last 6 months, but I would first look at if you can change to LV lighting at 230 Vac as there is less of a matching problem.

If for some reason you are stuck with extra low voltage, then get the lot from the same supplier, and when ordering state they are to work with each other.

I knew it was more of a headach than I thought.....

I think I looked into it last time...and gave up...

No more ELV in the future....

blank_65x10_T.gif

blank_65x10_T.gif

blank_65x10_T.gif

blank_65x10_T.gif

blank_65x10_T.gif

blank_65x10_T.gif

LEDs require extra low voltage (not low voltage) and can be supplied via a DC power supply.

LEDs ( the elements ) require a DC current that is controlled

LED lamps contain a driver that controls the current through the LED elements.

LEDs ( the elements ) require a DC current that is controlled

LED lamps contain a driver that controls the current through the LED elements.

Most of them, anyway. However, LED G4 capsules are often DC-only. There just isn't much space in there for rectification as well as current control and smoothing. And since many of them are fitted in mobile locations where they run off a battery supply, this is OK.

So you can either look for an AC-compatible LED G4 that will fit in your fiddly tiny lamps, or you may be forced into getting a DC driver for them. Note that the one you link is actually just a low-power electronic transformer giving (approx) 12V AC, so its actually stretching the truth slightly to call it an LED driver. Or you could get some completely new light fittings that aren't such a pain :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back