REPLACE MOTOR ON ELECTROLUX (Z)355 CYLINDER CLEANER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This 1983 Electrolux cylinder cleaner is in excellent condition, and has been carefully maintained. About 15 years ago the motor was replaced. This was fitted by a local "Hoover" shop as I did not know how to do the job, which was obviously not straightforward.

It is an excellent and powerful cleaner, with intelligently designed tools etc.

Recently it was put away one day after working fine. Next time it was got out it showed no signs of life. No, the fuse in the plug has not gone (unfortunately nothing as simple as this!).

I've stripped the machine down to the point where the motor is still captive in the body. I've tried connecting the motor's live and neutral leads direct to 230 Volts. Still dead!

The local "Hoover" shop is no longer with us. but a new "compatible" (I hope!) motor is available, albeit at approaching £50 with delivery charge. The machine is so good that I would be prepared to throw this amount of money at it.

However, whatever I try, I CAN'T work out how to remove the motor. It seems that it can't come out forwards, as the fan is trapped behind a hole in the partition at the front of the motor compartment and this hole appears to be smaller than the fan assembly. The back of the motor is supported in a clear plastic housing which has a small hole for the power leads to exit through, but otherwise is solid.

This clear plastic housing won't move backwards out of the steel casing. That, however, doesn't surprise me, because this housing contains the captive nuts for the long screws that secure the back section of the cleaner to the body. The back section includes the wheels and automatic storage reel for the flex, power and flex control switches, etc. So it has to be fixed to a firmly located element inside the body! Yet I can see no fasteners connecting the clear plastic housing to the steel shell of the body.

So what do I do to get the motor out, so I can check if a lead has simply come loose (unlikely!) or replace the motor (hoping that the "compatible" one does really fit!)?

Please help!

Many thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back