Replace or repair door frames & architraves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope you’ll be able to help. I’m getting the hallway and stairs of my new house replastered and realised we’ll have to sort out the door frames too prior to plastering. Not sure if the architraves need replacing too? They're all just a bit beaten up through a lack of maintenance and just layers upon layers of gloss paint.

I don’t know if I can just use some wood filler to fill in the holes in these door frames and sand smooth and get new doors hung or if it’s worth getting a couple of the frames and architraves replaced. I think the Bathroom might need replacing but any help and advice would be great.

Living Room

LR1.jpeg

LR2.jpeg

LR3.jpeg

Kitchen:
Kitchen1.jpeg
Kitchen2.jpeg
Kitchen3.jpeg
Kitchen4.jpeg

Bathroom:

Bathroom1.jpeg
Bathroom2.jpeg
Bathroom3.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If budget permits, get them replaced. You could spend hours, and loads of mess trying to filler them right and then still be unhappy with them.

If someone is hanging a new door, they can get the lining to fit it perfectly with almost no trimming required on the new door.

If budget permits, get them replaced. You could spend hours, and loads of mess trying to filler them right and then still be unhappy with them.

If someone is hanging a new door, they can get the lining to fit it perfectly with almost no trimming required on the new door.
That's what I was thinking. I think the bathroom and kitchen straight up need replacing but the living room MIGHT be okay.

Had some issues already just getting a chippy out to quote for a simple job like this, then had a quote of over 1k for 3 frames and 3 standard doors, but I'd have to rip it all out. So I think it's a bugger-off quote from someone who doesn't want the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back