Replace RTS1 drayton thermostat with simple AC on/off switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any thoughts on how i can replace RTS1 drayton thermostat with simple AC on/off switch.

I'm not sure exactly how the wiring for this thermostat works. I'm sure it closes/opens a circuit once a temperature threshold is reached.

On removing the cover both LIVE(L - RED) and CALL(3-YELLOW) are both showing as having live current.

Ideas ?

IMG_2166.JPG IMG_2167.JPG

Sponsored Links
Sure. It's at the top of some stairs at the back of our house. And a real pain to have to walk up there to turn it on and off, as it heats rooms upstairs (that we no don't use) and downstairs. Boiler is in the attic.
I plan to run a cable downstairs to a simple ac on/off which I have lying around.

If this thermostat controls the downstairs heating too I'd be inclined to either move the thermostat downstairs to the area you use, (extending the cable in some sort of joint box with 3core and earth cable) or leave the thermostat set to a normal temperature where it is and wire the extra switch in series with it so you can switch the heating on manually but the thermostat switches it off automatically when the building is up to temperature to save wasting energy too much. (by running a 2 core and earth cable to the switch position, disconnecting the red from the thermostat and joining to the brown on the new cable, connect the blue wire (to be fitted with a brown sleeve to show it is not a neutral wire) to where the red was in the thermostat. earth to earth then connect the other end of the cable to the new switch wired like any other light switch.)

If you want to do away with temperature control all together, disconnect the old stat, put blue wire in a separate connector safely out of the way, connect red to brown, yellow to blue (with brown sleeve), earth to earth and fit switch as before. The existing thermostat simply joins red to yellow to switch the heating on. The blue wire is a neutral to power the electronics in the thermostat.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Echo, for the very prompt response - appreciated.

I'll let everyone know how i get on.

Guy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back