Replace Salus RF500RF with Nest Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning All

I am looking to upgrade my existing thermostat to a smart one and have been looking at the nest. I have looked on this forum and there are a lot of helpful people. I was wondering if you could advise if its a straight forward swap with my existing thermostat..
I have a Valiant EcoTec 28 pro 28 combi boiler (runs central heating and hot water is provided every time tap is opened) this is linked with a Salus RF500RF thermostat and wireless receiver.

The wiring from my is as in the attached picture.. will it be an easy swap into the Nest heatlink thing??

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20211206_102137_04.jpg
    20211206_102137_04.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 161
Sponsored Links
There are different variants of Nest, the description below is for the 3rd Gen model, which is the most common. However, if you are considering a Nest-e, the Heat link is battery operated, so installation is different. Post back if that's the case.

For Nest 3rd Gen
Salus N = Nest N
Salus L = Nest L
Salus COM = Nest 2 Heating common
Salus NO = Nest 3 Heating call for heat

If you want to power the Nest thermostat from the Heat link, then connect T1 & T2 at the Heat link to T1 & T2 at the Nest thermostat. If you do this, the Heat link also requires an earth connection, which appears to have been cut on the wire in your photo. That would need to be connected to the Heat link making sure that the other end is connected to a genuine earth connection.

Alternatively the Nest thermostat can be powered from a separate plug in power supply.

If you’re going for the Nest learning thermostat, then you need the all the wires transferring over to the nest in the appropriate terminals. If you’re going for Nest E, then you only need Com and NO.

(I am not an electrician).

Existing is a RF switch which simply opens/closes the live to the boiler.
Nest provides 240l itself to the boiler.

So, wire up live/neutral on the nest as per your existing and then ONLY wire the NO (Black) to the nest W1 terminal.
You would remove the COm wire from the nest and the 240v feeding it.

The above is my interpretation, wait til someone who actually knows before doing it :)
Your post doesn’t make much sense. Nest provides 240 to the boiler? Only needs Normally Open? - Nest doesn’t have internal switching, and the EcoTEC pro provides the L out/supply (Com) on the older range.

Sponsored Links
Unlike the US version designed for furnaces, the UK version doesn't have a W1 terminal either.

Your post doesn’t make much sense. Nest provides 240 to the boiler? Only needs Normally Open? - Nest doesn’t have internal switching, and the EcoTEC pro provides the L out/supply (Com) on the older range.

Correct.

I looked at the wrong wiring diagram.
Post deleted.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
There are different variants of Nest, the description below is for the 3rd Gen model, which is the most common. However, if you are considering a Nest-e, the Heat link is battery operated, so installation is different. Post back if that's the case.

For Nest 3rd Gen
Salus N = Nest N
Salus L = Nest L
Salus COM = Nest 2 Heating common
Salus NO = Nest 3 Heating call for heat

If you want to power the Nest thermostat from the Heat link, then connect T1 & T2 at the Heat link to T1 & T2 at the Nest thermostat. If you do this, the Heat link also requires an earth connection, which appears to have been cut on the wire in your photo. That would need to be connected to the Heat link making sure that the other end is connected to a genuine earth connection.

Alternatively the Nest thermostat can be powered from a separate plug in power supply.

I was looking at the learning one rather than the nest E. The actual thermostat will be in a different room from where the boiler is as the boiler is in the kitchen so defeats having a thermostat in the kitchen. So from your post I can just transfer the wires from the Salus to the nest heat link without having to do anything inside the boiler itself.. so a straight forward wire transfer??

That's all you need to do. Transfer the wires over. Don't forget to reinstate the earth connection if you are going to use the Heat link to provide the 12v power to the thermostat.

Thanks everyone... Just need to find a decent price nest now.. missed it on black Friday

Cause I already have a Google echo system in place so just to link it all on with that...

You mean Google Nest?

Lots of these systems work with AI assistants such as alexa, Google assistant, and sometimes Siri.
You don't have to stick with Nest because you have google.

Drayton works well with google assistant in my case.

You mean Google Nest?

Lots of these systems work with AI assistants such as alexa, Google assistant, and sometimes Siri.
You don't have to stick with Nest because you have google.

Drayton works well with google assistant in my case.
Yeah Google nest.

I will probably do some research see which works best and does what for the price / features.
I've heard of Tado and Hive also.
I guess whichever smart thermostat I end up adding it will be similar in installation?.

Yeah Google nest.

I will probably do some research see which works best and does what for the price / features.
I've heard of Tado and Hive also.
I guess whichever smart thermostat I end up adding it will be similar in installation?.

Mostly.

Find the features you want and then choose the device, rather than stick to just google stuff. You might find something fits better or, is better able for expansion along the way.
I like google stuff but will always look to have it as a addition rather than an essential. Google has a nasty habit of getting bored with its products and binning them or the partnerships off.

If you are a home owner and looking to update the heating system, i think these smart thermostats are very much a stop gap measure. Just go all in and make the system fully smart if you can would be my theory on it although thats a minority opinion i believe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back