replace sink waste and change from plastic to metal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anybody help me? My father wants me to help him replace his plastic waste pipes in the alley way at the side of his house. He has 3 waste pipes coming out the wall from 2 sinks and the bath. One of them is metal painted black, the other two are old white plastic. I don't know how old they are but they have gone a funny colour and are very brittle with the odd hole in them now, so really had it.

I said it would be easy to replace the plastic but he is very insistant that he wants to change them to metal like the other one. I tried to measure the diameter of the old plastic pipes and they appear to be 35mm.

So my questions are:-

Did it used to be 35mm or is it just 32mm badly measured by me?

Can I get metal waste easily ie B&Q and all the joints?

How do you put the metal ones together?

And assuming it is plastic coming through the wall, how do I make a watertight joint from plastic to metal?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The metal ones --copper-- scratch and see :idea: you can get 35+42mm copper but it`s £££ :cry: and the fittings are soldered like the small stuff 15mm-----------you can get MacAlpine plastic bodied compression fittings for waste pipe--- fits anything to anything.......may have a website ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back