Replace split piece of floorboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
A couple of days ago we noticed a considerable sag in the floor at the top of the stairs. I've pulled the carpet up and have found that a section of the floorboard has split. Picture below:

floor.jpg

I thought this would be straight forward to replace but would like to double check what I should be using. I've just come back from B&Q with some chipboard (606mmx1220x18) that's the same thickness but it doesn't look as dense as the part that needs replacing (if that makes sense).

The old piece is 10" x 16" so quite small. Would the chipboard I've bought be ok for this or should I be looking at something else? Last thing I want is for the wife to fall through the ceiling because I've used the wrong stuff! :evil:

thanks for any help

Shaun

Sponsored Links
flooring chipboard is stronger than ordinary. It is tongued and grooved all round. However chipboard is a poor-quality material and 18mm ply is stronger. You can get 18mm construction spruce ply in the DIY sheds.

I think there are four causes of your problem:
1) chipboard is a rotten material
2) there is a lot of traffic at the top and bottom of stairs
3) the joists have been cut away a lot so the board has little bearing
4) it is a small piece.

You can do a better job with your replacement by nailing sisters to the side of the joists where they have been butchered, making the smallest possible cutout. this will give a better bearing

If you can fit noggins between the joists as well, under the cut edges, this will make a big difference. An easier but poorer method is to screw a piece of timber to the adjoining section of flooring, so that the new panel sits on it at the cut edges, and screw all tightly together.

you will get a better job if you cut out a bigger section of flooring, and put in one big panel, as it is always weak at the cuts. Ply is better than chipboard.

Thanks for your reply John.

I've put in a piece of the chipboard I bought for now as that's better than nothing although I'm still not confident it will last too long as it doesn't feel as strong as the other boards.

I'm not familiar with most of what you talked about, sisters, noggins etc.. I googled some of it so know roughly what you mean and I think that it's going to be better to get someone in to take a look at it rather than try any of that myself.

just need to find someone now! :confused:

Can anyone tell me what sort of profession I should be looking for in the yellow pages to fix these floorboards please?

Sponsored Links
JohnD's reply is spot on..

But realy,if you take your old piece of flooring to a local DIY shop they have loads of offcuts of 18mm ply that they will cut for you, then just screw it in with 4 screws in each corner. Drill 4 pilot holes and countersink first though.

If you realy need to get someone in ask for a joiner or even your local handyman. Make sure you ask for ply though !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back