Replacing Floorboards with tongue and groove chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has 1950's tongue and groove floorboards, they dont appear to be much use, they are loose, noisy some are split and warped (nailed down).

Ive been looking into how best to deal with them and the two options are,

screw the good ones down and replace the rest.

replace the whole lot with new.

This is a bedroom that will be carpeted, the existing stuff is cheap rubbish that i could never sand and make nice. Can anyone think of a reason not to replace with chipboard either 18mm or 22mm?

I cant help thinking by the time ive screwed down all the floorboards it would have been quicker to rip them up and replace them with new. It doesnt exactly seem expensive, something like £7 for a 2.4m x 0.6m board at howarth.

thanks

Sponsored Links
You'd probably be best asking in Floors Stairs and Lofts.
I've asked the mods to move it for you.

22 t&g chipboard perfectly serviceable for a carpeted bedroom. Just make sure you've done any necessary re-wiring/plumbing first!

Sponsored Links
If you do go ahead with t&g chip then go with 25mm rather than 18mm if you can. The tongues all need to be glued with a D3 PVA and you are far better off screwing the boards in place at 200 or at least 300mm centres. To pull the joints up tight use a floor puller and a heavy hammer. Whilst many joiners recommend plywood, it can be difficult to find it in 8 x 2ft t & g sheets and it costs far more.

I didnt realise gluing would be necessary, whats the reason for it? as much as a solid plywood floor would be no doubt much stronger, i assume it will cost a lot more, just doing the bathroom floor in plywood was quite expensive and it was a quarter of the amount, then i assume the plywood would be a much better surface.

Glueing the joints is one part of what you need to do to present entry squeaking in the future - it stops any tendency for the joints to move under heavy loading. Using screws as opposed to nails and using enough if them are other things you need to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back