replace storage heater with panel heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Wehad storage heaters removed and they left one big one with the night storage component disconnected and the fan heater part still connected so we had an on /off electric heater without the storage component to use until we got wet heating in.

This heater is independently wired with 2.5mm to a 20 amp MCB via a switch to the side of the heater.

Can I remove this large heater and replace it directly with a smaller panel heater removed from another room. The panel heater is 1250W and i think the 20amp MCB is too large for this ?

What are my options :
can I directly replace the larger heater with the smaller heater
Thus 1250W heater to switch with 2.5mm to 20amp MCB in CU ?

If not can i replace the existing switch with a switched FCU and put a 13 amp fuse in there.

Thus set up would be 1250w heater to switched FCU 13 amp then 2.5mm cable to 20amp MCB in CU.

Thanks for help.

Sponsored Links
Perth said:
If not can i replace the existing switch with a switched FCU and put a 13 amp fuse in there.

Thus set up would be 1250w heater to switched FCU 13 amp then 2.5mm cable to 20amp MCB in CU.
This would be the correct course of action. If you can find one, a 10A fuse would be more appropriate, but not everywhere stocks them, so 13A will be sufficient. Most appliances sold in this country are also suitable for use in Europe, where they have no plug fuses, but everything on 16A MCBs - so 13A is more than enough protection to meet the manufacturer's requirements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back