Replace Velux with Fakro Low Pitch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have discovered that the pitch of our extension is only 13 degrees and the Velux windows (CK02 55 x 78) and tiles (Marley Mendip) are not suitable for this slope (the minimum for the windows should be 15). This was picked up by an experienced roofer who was out to do a job on the main roof.

The extension is only a couple of years old and we have had no leaks (yet!). The roofer said that wind blown rain, debris and capillary action will eventually affect the roof but the felt might prevent water ingress for a while.

For peace of mind we are thinking about getting the tiles and windows replaced. Velux don’t do a low pitch flashing kit for this size of window but Fakro do (see links below). There are also a couple of tiles available (Redland Regent and Marley Mendip 12.5) that would be suitable for this pitch of roof. Before we decide to contact tradesmen for quotes I have a couple of questions that I’d be grateful for your advice.

1. How easy would it be to swop our Velux windows to Fakro windows with the same dimensions fitted with the Fakro raised pitch flashing kit?
2. Would the tile types mentioned above work with Fakro flashing kit? I’ve not contacted them yet.
3. Fakro do two variants for flashings - one for 45mm profile tiles and one for 90mm profile. Which one would we need for the Redland Regent and Marley Mendip 12.5 tiles assuming they are suitable?
https://www.fakro.co.uk/products/al...ecial/for-changing-window-installation-angle/

Would welcome advice. Thanks

Sponsored Links
We have discovered that the pitch of our extension is only 13 degrees and the Velux windows (CK02 55 x 78) and tiles (Marley Mendip) are not suitable for this slope (the minimum for the windows should be 15). This was picked up by an experienced roofer who was out to do a job on the main roof.

The extension is only a couple of years old and we have had no leaks (yet!). The roofer said that wind blown rain, debris and capillary action will eventually affect the roof but the felt might prevent water ingress for a while.

For peace of mind we are thinking about getting the tiles and windows replaced. Velux don’t do a low pitch flashing kit for this size of window but Fakro do (see links below). There are also a couple of tiles available (Redland Regent and Marley Mendip 12.5) that would be suitable for this pitch of roof. Before we decide to contact tradesmen for quotes I have a couple of questions that I’d be grateful for your advice.

1. How easy would it be to swop our Velux windows to Fakro windows with the same dimensions fitted with the Fakro raised pitch flashing kit?
2. Would the tile types mentioned above work with Fakro flashing kit? I’ve not contacted them yet.
3. Fakro do two variants for flashings - one for 45mm profile tiles and one for 90mm profile. Which one would we need for the Redland Regent and Marley Mendip 12.5 tiles assuming they are suitable?
https://www.fakro.co.uk/products/al...ecial/for-changing-window-installation-angle/

Would welcome advice. Thanks
The thing is with any very low pitch roof, you need very little to go wrong for them to admit water. The low pitch tiles also come with conditions attached. Your fitter needs to be uber-diligent when installing both products and follow the rules stated on both. I've only ever installed Velux and Keylite so don't have any info' on the Fakros, sorry.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back