Replace wired glass in door with double glazed unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Experts,

I am considering replacing the glass in my timber back door with a double glazed unit.

This seems simple enough, except that the current glass is wired. I think it is 8mm thick. So I should perhaps use a similarly fire-resistant glass in the replacement.

I'm unsure whether the current glass was fitted because of a regulatory requirement, or just because it looks more secure. It probably dates from the 1980s. It is the back door of a ground floor flat so I could imagine that there might be a requirement to stop fire spreading up the outside wall - but none of the windows seems to be fire-resistant, and the door itself doesn't seem to be a fire door.

So i could just ignore the issue and fit toughened glass. Or I could fit wired glass (inside or outside panel?), or i could fit some other sort of fire-resistant glass.

To simplify the carpentry it would be great to keep the thickness of the unit below 15mm. What do you suggest that I fit?

Sponsored Links
I would suspect it is more a safety precaution because it is a glass door all have to have safety glass in them now. Trouble with safety glass is it has to be cut then treated so you cannot just go to the glazer and get a bit cut, wired glass was easily available so much used in flats. Particularly popular in rental properties where lets say some tenants are less than careful :D :D

If you really want to cover your back check with the freeholder before changing it.

Known as Georgian wire glass, this was your original safety/fire glass because when broken, say with a stone or similar, it would shatter to a certain extent, bur most if not all of the glass shards would remain stuck in the wire matrix. Presumably you are trying to upgrade the heat loss of the house? ...pinenot :)

Yes, I'm just improving the insulation of the door. (I'm also re-doing the draught-proofing and adding insulation over the lower wooden panel.)
My assumption is that, as you say, the wired glass was fitted as "safety" glass and that I can replace it with a DG unit with two 4mm toughened panes.
I was hoping that someone would know what the "normal" type of glazing for a door of this type would be these days, i.e. would it just be toughened, or would it often be some kind of special fire-resistant glass?

Sponsored Links
Unless the home is flatted i.e. within a block, then fire rating wouldn't be the issue, you don't fireproof an external door to a house, it,s the main fire exit!
Laminated glass is possibly the modern equivalent, but if the door is to be better draught proofed etc. the glazing won't make that much of a difference...pinenot :)

> Unless the home is flatted i.e. within a block

It's the back door of a ground floor flat (see above).

And as a back door is it not singular use to said flat, or have I missed something?? :confused:

> as a back door is it not singular use to said flat

Correct, it's from the kitchen to the back yard and is not shared with any other flats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back