Replaced a switch for a dimmer switch now lights don't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I am a newbie on this site and I am looking for some advice please.

I have been gradually replacing my normal light switches to dimmer switches as I do the house up. However, yesterday I encountered a problem. I replaced the normal switch with another dimmer as I have always done and it didn't work, so I rewired the original switch and now that also doesn't work and to make matters worst now all the downstairs lights don't work

To make things a little clearer, I have 3 wires 1 red 1 black and 1 earth

On the dimmer switch there is a section for Live, S,Lead and of course the earth.

On the original switch there is L1, L2 and L3. and again the earth

I have a trip box with breakers and when I switch it on the breaker doesn't trip but none of my downstairs lights work? however, all the rest of the lights in the house function properly.

What on earth could be the problem I am stumped?

I am in Southampton

Sponsored Links
And you've done nothing at any light fittings, only at the switches?

Is it a normal lamp in this fitting, or a low-energy one? Generally they can't be dimmed, so putting a dimmer on might knacker the lamp and/or the dimmer, but it's not possible to knock out an entire circuit by fiddling with just one simple switch drop unless you've created a live-earth short, so the faults may be unrelated.

Did the MCB trip at any time?

When you switch it on does it feel the same as the others?

Have you closely examined the cables where they enter the switch back box to see if they are damaged?

If you remove the switch cable from the light it's connected to does the circuit then work?

Did you put any force on the cable at any point or anything like that (I'm thinking if perhaps the cable went up a cavity wall in to a junction box say, then by working on it to put it in the new switch if a connection was a little loose it may have pulled out, and broken the lighting loop?)

Thanks for your kind reply I will answer each question in order....

Is it a normal lamp in this fitting, or a low-energy one?

The switch powers 3 x 40 w small halogens in the ceiling. The dimmer can support 400w

It's not possible to knock out an entire circuit by fiddling with just one simple switch drop unless you've created a live-earth short, so the faults may be unrelated.

At no time did I touch the wires together, I turned the electric off when I rewired them at all times then switched it back on. Everytime I switched it back on the up stairs lights would work but not the downstairs.

Did the MCB trip at any time?

It didn't no.

When you switch it on does it feel the same as the others?

It does feel exactly the same like I said before, the lighting loop upstairs works fine when I switch the MCB.

Have you closely examined the cables where they enter the switch back box to see if they are damaged?

The cables are not damaged however, the earth is a bit ragged at the end.

If you remove the switch cable from the light it's connected to does the circuit then work?

I haven't tried yet as it was getting dark and I didn't want to make matters worst. Is the red wire the switch live? can you advise?

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Did you put any force on the cable at any point or anything like that (I'm thinking if perhaps the cable went up a cavity wall in to a junction box say, then by working on it to put it in the new switch if a connection was a little loose it may have pulled out, and broken the lighting loop?)

Hi, to answer your question, I treat all diy with kid gloves at no time was there any force on the cable. I literally treated it like I have always done I turned the electric off unscrewed the wires from the existing switch the placed the RED in to the LIVE section of the dimmer, the BLACK in to the LEAD and of course wired the earth in to the switch accordingly. Nothing more nothing less thats why I am stumped?

Sounds like the loop connection to me, have you changed any fittings could a cable have come loose. Do you have a voltage indicator and or a continuity tester so you can trace the fault.
Isolate first
Look in the CU to make sure that cables are fitted correctly and secure for this circuit.
Then at each lighting point in the ceiling, nearest point to CU first for loose connections.

This problem looks like its stumped the experts 100 views and 5 replies.

quote]have you changed any fittings could a cable have come loose.
[/quote]

No I haven't changed anything at all only the 3 wires from the original switch to the dimmer switch.

Do you have a voltage indicator and or a continuity tester so you can trace the fault.

I don't have a voltage indicator or a continuity tester

Isolate first
Look in the CU to make sure that cables are fitted correctly and secure for this circuit.

Well it looks like I am going to have to call a sparky. I can't believe it all this hastle over one switch and 3 cables.

Ever get the feeling life is not on your side!!

Whats confusing is that the UPSTAIRS loop works on the same MCB.

you've connected the dimmer wrong and on powering back up it's fried a connection in the ceiling light..
remove the light / rose cover and post a photo..

you also need to remove the CU cover and see if the upstairs lights are taken straight from the breaker.. there may be 2 wires in it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back