Replaced extractor fan, Now bathroom lights don't switch off but dim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The original fan was ceiling mounted with integral humidistat (Vent Axia Lo carbon). The ducting from the original fan was crushed in the ceiling void and did not work effectively. the fan ran continuously to try unsuccessfully to get the humidy down to the desired level (our bathroom has no windows)

To fix this we have installed a new inline fan ( Manrose MF100s ), in a new location to avoid the area where the ducting was being restricted. We also installed a separate humidistat/timer (Manrose remote humidistat fan timer 1361).

We used the original fan 3 core cable to connect to the humidistat, with an additional 2 core cable running from the humidistat to the new inline fan.

With the fan isolator switch off the LED downlighting work normally with their switch.

however with the fan isolator switched on and the lights on the fan works fine however if I turn the light switch off the fan continues to run and the lights remain on but at a very low dimmed setting.

The humidistat will turn the fan off after the programmed amount of time but the lights remain dimmed.

We don't understand why the lights aren't turning off and are remaining in this dim condition.

We have checked the original wiring to the old fan which had. Brown = live, Black = neutral, grey = live switch. We connected the same cable to the humidistat as Brown = mains live, Black = mains neutral, Grey = Switched live.

We havent changed any other wiring in the bathroom.

Any ideas why the lights are remaining dimmed?

File ending WA0004 - picture of 5 wires connecting into back of manrose humidistat

File ending WA0008 - picture of old vent axia extractor fan wiring

File ending WA0015 - picture of new black inline manrose fan

File ending 181236 - picture of back of isolator switch

Attachments

• IMG-20210816-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20210816-WA0004.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG-20210816-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20210816-WA0008.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG-20210816-WA0015.jpeg
    IMG-20210816-WA0015.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 20210816_181236.jpg
    20210816_181236.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are the lights a very, very low dim, just barely lit?
Ignoring any possible wiring issues, this sometimes happens with cheaper LED lamps, where the capacitance in circuits, or current leakage from a fan is just enough to keep the LEDs barely lit.
More expensive LED lamps have bleed resistors and capacitors that stop this happening.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yes they are very very dim, and we can't find any wiring faults. Thank you for your suggestion, I'll try swapping out the LEDs

The type of LED we have is a JCC JC94110WH with a Crompton lamps GU10. (I can't post a weblink without getting tied up by forum moderation)

I can't find any reference to bleed resistors, I have been looking online to buy replacements but also struggling to find any reference to bleed resistors.

Can you please advise what I need to check to ensure it has a bleed resistor? Will a dimmable LED have this?

Any help much appreciated

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The type of LED we have is a JCC JC94110WH with a Crompton lamps GU10. (I can't post a weblink without getting tied up by forum moderation)

I can't find any reference to bleed resistors, I have been looking online to buy replacements but also struggling to find any reference to bleed resistors.

Can you please advise what I need to check to ensure it has a bleed resistor? Will a dimmable LED have this?

Any help much appreciated

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...dont-switch-off-but-dim.576218/#ixzz73n8oJOga

The JC94110WH is the fire rated, showerlight enclosure and hopefully should not be relevant to the issue.
I'm surprised the Crompton GU10's are glowing.
The internal driver electronics aren't something you will normally see listed in the product details.
All I can suggest is buy another brand name GU10 and see what happens (One to test, shouldn't be a big loss should it still glow)
Others might have further suggestion?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back