Replaced seal but door still leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I have a upvc front door with some flag hinges. The door is fine other than the top part of the door which leaks some air. See pic below. Pressing the top half of the door down does seal the door, and it also reduces the amount of noise getting through from the outside. I would say the gap is probably somewhere between 0.4-0.8mm - it's very small and only leaks a small amount of air

The hinges can only be adjusted up/down, left/right, and there is no compressive adjustment.
If I were to use a flag hinge with compressive adjustments (like the patriot plus) would this fix the leak issue ? or am I better off just getting a larger pvc seal ? I replaced the seal 3 weeks ago with the same type of seal but it still leaks.

I feel like the hinge replacement would be the best solution, however, since the leak is on the other side, it might not press the door hard enough against the frame to seal it completely.

Screenshot from 2022-10-16 02-29-57.png

Sponsored Links
When you close the door towards the frame (but not onto the catch) does it look fairly well aligned with the frame? Has the door or frame buckled or twisted over time such that it cannot now pull closed well without additional pressure to overcome the distortion?

When you pull the handle up is there an appreciable compression of the gasket in all areas, or might some damage/misalignment of the spag rod mushrooms and/or keepers mean that the door isn't uniformly pulling closed along the entire length of the edge?

Some pictures of the type of locks on the door and frame would be better as they might be adjustable to gain compression as well as a picture of the hinges, also bear in mind if the air leak is along the top toward the lock side then the door could have dropped and requires toe and heeling to square the door back up in the frame

Sponsored Links
Im going to ask the silliest question but it does need ruling out .... Im guessing you are pulling the handle up to create full locking ? , as full compression is only achievable at that point
If so , as Robinbanks says , there should be compression adjustment on the lock keeps too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back