replaceing leaking pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i'm looking for some idea's, I have a largish pond aprox 6m long x 2.5m wide x1m deep built from bricks and blocks half in the ground half out holds aprox 2000 gallons. It's around 12 years old and due to clay gound it sprung a leak about 3 years ago, cost about £500 to put right now its spung another leak. It has three block built in planters so I cant put in a liner, plus at 75 i'm getting short on the will to keep doing the upkeep I have some large koi plus others i'm hopeing to re home, any bright ideas what to do on the area after knocking it all in and filling it in, REG Hi all, an update to my problem, now looking at a boxweld linner at aprox £400 to £450, got a qoute for fiberglass realy the best idea but at a cost of £1436.00,financially I cant see that happening unless I win the lottery.Both ideas need a lot of remedial work so it will have to go on hold now untill next year and an early start (March April). In the meantime I believe you can get a putty/filler to do a tempory job, ANY IDEAS ? PLEASE< REG

Sponsored Links
Shame, it sounds like a nice pond. I'd have it re-lined with fibreglass, provided it is structurally sound. But if you fill it in, you could make a nice sunk-down seating area.

Hi Steve, yep it is a nice pond even if I say so myself, I did consider fibreglass last time it sprung a leak but on inquiring it would have been quite expensive. The idea of a sunken seating area sounds good but rain could be a problem, plus it would be facing towards a MORON neighbour, still worth putting in the idea pot, cheers REG

I have a pond of similar size, from your measurements you are looking at almost 3500 gallons!

You could drop a boxweld liner into it,basically a liner made to measure and gives you no creases...you simply drop it the hole and fill with water.

You dont mention what the water returns and outlets are?

Would be a shame to get rid if it, it is an expensive hobby keeping koi but a satisfying one

If you want to fibre glass it....you will be paying a small fortune, prob £30-£40 per sqm, a pond your size would be between £1000 to £2000 to fibreglass profesionally, possibly more now.

Put a liner in and enjoy your koi!

Sponsored Links
Hi sinco, thanks for the idea boxweld liner seems a good idea, but when I built the pond I made the shape a bit like a kidney bowl plus I built block liners in it, wish I had heard about boxweld liners before. But maybe, only other problem is now age at 75 the mind is willing but the body is weak, cheers REG

Hi snico, thanks again for your infomation on "boxweld" liners I had never heard of them but since your message I have looked into them, seems a great idea and even with underlay and delivery it will be less than I paid for the last repair a few years ago, thanks again REG

Hi snico, thanks again for your infomation on "boxweld" liners I had never heard of them but since your message I have looked into them, seems a great idea and even with underlay and delivery it will be less than I paid for the last repair a few years ago, thanks again REG

No probs Reg, they are very good and can be made to suit any irregular shape.

Hi all, an update to my problem, now looking at a boxweld linner at aprox £400 to £450, got a qoute for fiberglass realy the best idea but at a cost of £1436.00,financially I cant see that happening unless I win the lottery.Both ideas need a lot of remedial work so it will have to go on hold now untill next year and an early start (March April). In the meantime I believe you can get a putty/filler to do a tempory job, ANY IDEAS ? PLEASE< REG

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/garden/replaceing-leaking-pond.331831/#2468374#ixzz21u4TU4dK

Hi, re my pond problem Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:11 pm, before going into loads of work i've been told I can repair the crack in my brick/block rendered pond by fiber glassing over it and repainting the fiber glass with G4 pond paint any ideas please, thanks REG

We use fiberglass for body repair and it is a wonderful sealant.

Only thing we would worry about is the bond between the original material and the fiberglass, so try and tie it to the wall in some way. Roughen up the surface well.

You might consider drilling and securing wood screws to the wall, then lacing a wire to form a mesh between the screws to give the fiberglass something to grip to.

Keep in mind any more movement and it will crack again. The membrane would have a bit of "give".
Did you consider building a small cement "feature" in the pond to cover up/seal the crack?

Hi Mursal, thanks for the info and good ideas, I like the idea of complete fiberglass but at £1436 I need to consider everything, seems the best idea would be to do a fiberglass repair then look at a boxweld liner, thanks again, REG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back