Replacement boiler qoute from British Gas

An old cast iron boiler like that takes a lot of gas to heat it up when it turns on.

The when it cycles on again it has to reheat the cast iron block.

The efficiencies are quoted for a brand new boiler. After many years, the gas side gets all rusted up with poor heat transfer and the water side usually has a coating of lime scale which also reduces heat transfer.

My advice is to repair the boiler now and aim to replace it during the summer. The real cost could be less than £1000 saving on the BG price.

Tony

Sponsored Links
That would be my plan. Repair now and replace in Summer.

Unfortunately the part I need is no longer available anywhere so will have to replace the boiler.

We need a gas value 402856 for a Potterton kingfisher II CF40. Can't find anywhere that sells them

That would be my plan. Repair now and replace in Summer.

Unfortunately the part I need is no longer available anywhere so will have to replace the boiler.

We need a gas value 402856 for a Potterton kingfisher II CF40. Can't find anywhere that sells them

phone around your local gas engineers, they may know somewhere to source one,

I would expect that it would be possible to find a replacement gas valve.

But I have heard of so many cases when people have been told that "an obsolete part has failed and so the boiler must be replaced".

Consequently I would never assume that it is really the gas valve that has really failed! Particularly where the mode of failure has not been quoted.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Pretty sure you need a sit composite gas valve.....nothing like the one in your link earlier, and yes obsolete. I may have a gas valve but doubt I got the solenoid operator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back