British Gas have quoted to replace our 25 year old boiler!

Price can't include powerflush, theres no way they can do the boiler change / commission and powerflush properly in one day.

Sponsored Links
Price can't include powerflush, theres no way they can do the boiler change / commission and powerflush properly in one day.
Are you suggeting that the op looks closely at the fine print ;)

Has to have a minimum 2 year warranty, if the manufacturer also insists on a powerflush, that has to be included as well, as does any system upgrades. :LOL:

Perhaps BG are re-claiming the £400.00 scrappage scheme.

2 year warranty is from manufacturer though not BG. No manufacturer i can think of insists on systems being powerflushed, only cleaned to BS with chemicals. System upgrades like TRVs wont be fitted if the custard signs a disclaimer. Like they do with most warmfront jobs!

Took my plumber best part of a day to do the powerflush, heating the water with a heating coil, vibrating the radiators to agitate the crud, seemed to work quite well.

I'm not a plumber but I imagine there is no such thing as a straight forward boiler swap.

Sponsored Links
Why not get a couple more quotes and compare them, don't just go on price but have a look at what is included AND excluded. If there is something diferent ask why etc.

The chances are it will be sub contracted ,but definetly done in day.Whats so difficult about two men powerflushing and installing this boiler in day ?

the thing is how they making much on this job as lets face it boiler swap 1500 ish power flush another 500 ish are they trying to squeeze more of us out of bassness

BG are good - if they submit a written quote and you understand the small print . Then they have to honour it . Why shouldn`t they use their size to offer a good deal. IT`s a Free Market Economy.

I used to sub to BG & on installs they only gave me 2 to 3 hours to flush system & 5 hours for a straight heat only boiler swap. I work on my own & if I could get an 8am start then I was generally home by 2pm, first thing was to get the boiler on the wall & connect the circs then flush it while I was doing gas, flue etc, that way your doing 2 jobs at the same time.

Has to have a minimum 2 year warranty, if the manufacturer also insists on a powerflush, that has to be included as well, as does any system upgrades. :LOL:
Perhaps BG are re-claiming the £400.00 scrappage scheme.
System upgrades like TRVs wont be fitted if the custard signs a disclaimer. Like they do with most warmfront jobs!

Does this mean that if you get the customer to sign a disclaimer, they don't have to have TRVs with a new boiler install?

If the customer cant afford to have them,what you gonna do not install a new boiler for them???
common sense please

disclaimer has been used by alot firms for many years

I used to sub to BG & on installs they only gave me 2 to 3 hours to flush system & 5 hours for a straight heat only boiler swap. I work on my own & if I could get an 8am start then I was generally home by 2pm, first thing was to get the boiler on the wall & connect the circs then flush it while I was doing gas, flue etc, that way your doing 2 jobs at the same time.

How can you be doing something else while power flushing?

You have to be running round opening/closing rads, reversing, draining etc! Its a very hands on job and takes several hours to do properly.

Just leaving a pump on for two hours on the whole system may come within a loose description of power flushing but is never doing the job properly.

No wonder we have such a low opinion of how some BG jobs are done!

You have to be running round opening/closing rads, reversing, draining etc! Its a very hands on job and takes several hours to do properly.

Give me 8 hours & I do, give me 2 hours to do it & I dont.
If you ever want to visit the real world then I'll be glad to show you around. ;)

Dont worry, I visit the real world at most repair jobs that I go to.

Even if I dont go out then I can still read about them in the general forum!

Tony

what boiler have you got now?

We have some 10 radiators including 4 double rads. The present boiler is an Ideal Concord WRS255A which I believe gives out a maximum 55000 BTU. The boiler was installed at least 30 years ago although we replaced the heat exchanger some 10 years or so ago.

The house only heats up when the boiler is set to 5 Maximum and 25C on the thermostat!

The house cannot be cavity insulated as it is Victorian I have been advised. We have double glazing plus loft insulation though.

BG are offering £802 off their boilers plus £350 as we are both over 60 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back