Replacement boiler qoute from British Gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler in my elderly mother's 3 bedroom house has gone and needs replacing.

It's an old open vented system with a 35 year old floor mounted heat-only boiler.

British Gas have suggested a BAXI Solo 15 HE as a replacement and a total cost of £3841, including fitting and power flush.

Seems much too high.

Is the BAXI boiler any good? The current one is mounted in an airing cupboard in the centre of the bungalow, with a vertical vent that goes through the roof. Would a floor standing boiler be a better replacement?

Sponsored Links
Any independent can quote at least £1000 less than BG who have to make a profit to cover their management and shareholders!

I just say to anyone get a detailed quote from BG and I will do it for £1000 less.

It can be difficult fitting a boiler in some bungalows and often placing it in the loft can solve the problems.

I would not recommend that particular boiler as there are other makes we think are more reliable like, Viessmann, Intergas and even Vailant.

Tony

That boiler's a pile of junk...it's heat exchanger/burner arrangement have been around for a long time and has a track record of major failures. You'd think a business offering boiler insurance would think a bit more long term and install something half decent.

That boiler's a pile of junk...it's heat exchanger/burner arrangement have been around for a long time and has a track record of major failures. You'd think a business offering boiler insurance would think a bit more long term and install something half decent.

Thanks. That's good to know.

What would you choose as a better boiler? It's a 3 bedroom bungalow, with large kitchen. Fairly well insulated. Approx 16 kW output needed I think.

Sponsored Links
Worcester Greenstar 15Ri or 18Ri been out for over 10 years, well proven.

Consider...

Manufacturer backup
Parts costs
Servicing
Will the warranty be honoured...without perfect installation and annual servicing it's void anyway.
etc

I just spoke with my mother and checked.

Existing boiler is a Potterton kingfisher 2 cf40. Apparently the boiler man said it is the gas valve that is broken.

Are these boilers any good? I know it's old - but I think it would be best to have it repaired rather than the cost of replacing.

Easy enough repair IF that is what is wrong. It may not be though! It could be something fairly minor.

I always recommend repairing boilers during the winter and then replacing when the weather is warmer and we are less busy.

That boiler is pretty inefficient and gas saving of about 30% is likely after fitting a new condensing boiler. But with a small consumption that is not be vast amounts of money.

Tony

What were the other quotes like?, BG prefer to fit Worcesters where possible it may be that there is an awkward flue run or something that prevents that being an option.

He says that it is a vertical flue.

BG presumably have to use scaffolding to access the roof and so adding £500 to the price!

Tony

BG have an agreement with local scaffolders, which is usually £250, they don't add on anything to that price,
but assuming the roof area can be reached with a roof ladder then you shouldn't need scaffolding at all.

if your boiler is 35 years old, it'll no doubt be gravity hot water, new boilers need everything to be fully pumped, so this would mean new all new controls to be fitted, does the price include a magnetic filter too?

BG like to use Baxi boilers because they don't need a pump over run, and saves the hassle of running an extra cable which at times can be quite disruptive. but considering this job is quite a big one anyway, that shouldn't really matter too much.

Worcester Bosch Ri I think are great, never had any trouble with them, but they're more expensive.

a grey push button gas valve (if that's what's needed to get your old one going) should be easy to get and fit, but I would get the old open flued boiler changed as they're not terribly safe compared to new modern boilers, not to mention its probably about 60% efficient at best!

good luck

I would get the old open flued boiler changed as they're not terribly safe compared to new modern boilers, not to mention its probably about 60% efficient at best!

good luck
I have the exact same boiler in my present bungalow - with fully pumped heating/hot water . What really puzzles me is the efficiency figures quoted here by two Gas Men ( I'm a retired Plumber never got gas quals.) So I've been on the net and found that SEDBUK efficiencies are 75+ % for the old Potterton :confused: Can anyone shed some :idea: on the TRUE savings .

Many thanks for the advice. Yes, there is no sign of a pump anywhere so it must be gravity fed.

Given the cost of changing it I think my mother should try and have it repaired first.

I found a replacement gas valve for under £60, which seems very good value.
http://www.boilersparesdirect.co.uk/parts-online/shopexd.asp?id=68346

Is it a big job to get it fitted? If it's a simple job for a gas safe man to do then I'll buy that and ask someone to come and fit it. If that's the problem great. If not, then no big loss.

I would get the old open flued boiler changed as they're not terribly safe compared to new modern boilers, not to mention its probably about 60% efficient at best!

good luck
I have the exact same boiler in my present bungalow - with fully pumped heating/hot water . What really puzzles me is the efficiency figures quoted here by two Gas Men ( I'm a retired Plumber never got gas quals.) So I've been on the net and found that SEDBUK efficiencies are 75+ % for the old Potterton :confused: Can anyone shed some :idea: on the TRUE savings .

Whatever the savings are it will surely take many years to recoup the cost of a new boiler and install, especially with gas prices now finally falling.

I'm open to replacing the boiler if it is dangerous or properly kaput, but would always rather patch things and keep them going as long as possible.

good luck

Whatever the savings are it will surely take many years to recoup the cost of a new boiler and install, especially with gas prices now finally falling.

I'm open to replacing the boiler if it is dangerous or properly kaput, but would always rather patch things and keep them going as long as possible.

You'll never get the new boiler to pay for itself, but generally speaking you should save a third on your heating bills.

It's difficult to put an exact figure on boiler efficiency, and you can probably tell yourself that it's not very efficient just by feeling the heat coming off of thing! You want that heat to be pumped around the heating system not wafting away in the air, but then again some people like that as it can heat up the room it's in.
Also they'll be a fair bit of heat being lost going up the flue, if it is gravity hot water then that's very inefficient too and you can't have the heating on without the hot water, your cylinder is no doubt an old style un lagged type too I bet. it's common sense to get it replaced really, but then it comes down to money, who has a spare few thousand to pay for a new boiler?

If it is just the gas valve that's faulty that would take about an hour to fit, I would also recommend getting it serviced and checked for safety, also, make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector too as it's an open flues appliance.

In the long run I would definitely get it changed and your system updated. You could also consider a combi boiler too, that probably would come in at around the same price, if not less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back