British Gas have quoted to replace our 25 year old boiler!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
British Gas have quoted to replace our 25 year old boiler for our 4 bedroom Victorian semi-detached house and have suggested a Baxi Solo 15HE condensing boiler which will take them 1 day to fit at a cost of £2,000.

I'm not sure whether this is up for the job and it seems pretty pricey to me - am I wrong? :confused:

Sponsored Links
They have definitely not overspecc'd it in terms of output. Can't see that your radiators are going to be bouncing off the walls ten minutes after start-up.

Sponsored Links
That is a good price from BG.

Boiler is perfectly adequate unless you have 15 plus double rads and a 300 litre unvented tucked away

Boiler is perfectly adequate unless you have 15 plus double rads

Eh? Sure you've done the maths?

Rough average for a double rad is ,let's say, between 4000 and 6000 btu's.

Multiply x 15 = 60,000 btu's (at least)

Boiler's giving less than 50,000!

Steady, the point was rhetorical.....ie unless he has unusual heating demands then the boiler is adequate.

If i had known you were gunna bring your calculator...... :cry:

Ok ,fair enough.

But they do always seem to specify weedy boilers these BG chaps.
Where's their Christmas spirit?

Must be the way they are making up margin, now they are dropping prices......

I saw a Solo 18he fitted by BG last year in a 3 bed semi the other day.......6 rads 1 double.......guy said the place heats up in 10mins from cold :D

The 15 is a bit stingy....but can only assume they did the calcs and customer requirements

Has to have a minimum 2 year warranty, if the manufacturer also insists on a powerflush, that has to be included as well, as does any system upgrades. :LOL:

Perhaps BG are re-claiming the £400.00 scrappage scheme.

I got a quote from BG (and subsequently gave them the work) at around this time of year a couple of years ago. They were very competitive and I got the impression the salesman was cutting the price to the bone. Perhaps they need to meet annual targets this time of year / they know Jan / Feb are particularly quiet months?

By comparison we paid a plumber £3000 to fit a condensing boiler in our 4 bed house, there were quite a few extras though as we wanted the boiler relocated and some major changes to the main pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back