REPLACEMENT BOILER ?

The 9 inch telle is worth more than the jaguar.
You have missed the absolute basic after spending a lot of time and money on your design and that is is the appliance good enough to supply my needs.
Change it for a 37 or 42 kw combi if your wanting your body jets to work as they are meant to . That is after making sure you actually have enough cold mains pressure

You must have spent a fortune on your 9" then mate! (lol). Thanks for the advice on the 37 or 42 though. In addition, I think the MP could be a problem - any solutions?

Sponsored Links
Do it properly. A high flow combi is what you NEED. Look at the ATAG 51kW or the W-Bosch 550 Highflow. Ethos do a 54Kw Combi as well.

Check the main water pressure and flowrate in litres/min.

Blimey a 51! Bengasman reckons you're a troll, but at least you've come up with some models, cheers. MP could be a problem though, any ideas?

4 jet body shower. nice. hope you are not on a water meter!

i would be looking at an unvented hot water cylinder if you have the space.

Yeah, I'm on a meter, I just don't wash a lot (once a month is more than enough). I also use the old bath water for tea, coffee and making soup (lol).

Seriously though, thanks for the advice but, wouldn't I need a great deal of space, thus defeating the object of a combi?

4 jet body shower. nice. hope you are not on a water meter!

i would be looking at an unvented hot water cylinder if you have the space.

Yes he will need a massive, very expensive cylinder as well. Instantly heated water is the way.

Find out what is available on the market and do some sums. See thread:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=193040[/QUOTE]

Don't like the sound of "massive", I actually prefer the word "expensive". I certainly don't like them used together, if you get my drift? Thanks anyway

Sponsored Links
Yes he will need a massive, very expensive cylinder as well. Instantly heated water is the way.....

er, if you read what the OP has installed you may agree that cost is not an issue. massive? size is relative. a decent combi over 35kW is going to set you back a lot more than an unvented cylinder. the unvented cylinder also provides an upgrade path to solar thermal.

instantly heated water is not always the way. if OP desires such a system then a Rinnai Infinity would get my vote.

SPOT ON MATE - I don't pretend to be minted, but I've work ******* hard for the last 30 odd tears and want some nice things for it. If instant hot water is not the answer, what do you suggest? Do you think going back to a gravity set up is the answer or a dedicated emersion cylinder? Thanks.

with all the time and money you've spent on the bathroom its hard to know what your hot water requirements are in terms of flow. I'd suggest you buy/borrow a flow cup or get familiar with how to test flow rate. Work out the kind of flow rate you would like to achieve. Your current boiler will give you around 11 l/min with a 30c rise in temp. If this is not sufficient then replacing the boiler is the only remedy.

Sorry mate - not sure how/why the amount of time and money spent would make it hard to determine my needs! The question is, at this stage, new boiler? if yes, which one/type. Cheers anyway.

Because I/we don't know what you want/expect from your boiler in terms of flow rate. In situations like this, I usually use a flow cup to show different flow rates to the customer. When the customer knows what flow rate they want then I can give them a solution. My sister has body jets but on a well designed shower unit, and a 27kw boiler works fine, however other types need 40kw+ to operate effectively. The jaguar is a cheap basic boiler, however its fairly reliable and easy to repair. Currently yours doesn't work properly so you can't judge. Which is why I told you the flow rate so you can check if when working it would be ok.
IF you do go for a higher flow rate boiler/system you first need to make sure you have adequate mains pressure.

• Thanks
Reactions: DAJ
An unvented cylinder and boiler is far more expensive than one high flow combi. Look at the links I gave and figure out DHW delivery. The high flow combi wins hands down.

instantly heated water is not always the way. if OP desires such a system then a Rinnai Infinity would get my vote.

Good multi-points - I love em. Super reliable. However they do not import the higher flowrate condensing versions to the UK yet, and to get 25 litres/min, you need to have a meter upgrade when using a CH boiler as well - it exceed a U6 meter.

The ATAG, Ethos and W-Bosch 550 Highflow will give 25/26 litres/min. The first two will give 25 litres/min for ever and deliver 1,500 litres DHW an hour. Look at that again...1,500 litres and hour. To get that using a cylinder you will a super expensive commercial sized cylinder. You can have a large body jet shower and no problem of running out of DHW using an ATAG or Ethos, as you will using a cylinder.

Do the sums. Then look at the prices to get the same DHW delivery.

WHAT ! Sorry George, I lost the plot after the first sentence. I didn't understand (nor wanted to) anout the wheres and whens. Perhaps you could say it again, but a little more slowly.

don't worry about george, I think he got banned again for giving dangerous/misleading advice.

OP, you may want to take george's drivel with a pinch of salt, much as he would like to be a RGI, he is not, and has never legally installed a boiler. He is actually a troll that has been repeatedly banned for posting wrong advice and abuse.

Oh dear George, what have you been up to? Thanks bengsman, but I'm open to any VALID suggestion from anyone who knows what they're talking about - even if they haven't got a piece of paper to prove it - After all, the guy that owns Virgin couldn't read and write, so what does he know?

Because I/we don't know what you want/expect from your boiler in terms of flow rate. In situations like this, I usually use a flow cup to show different flow rates to the customer. When the customer knows what flow rate they want then I can give them a solution. My sister has body jets but on a well designed shower unit, and a 27kw boiler works fine, however other types need 40kw+ to operate effectively. The jaguar is a cheap basic boiler, however its fairly reliable and easy to repair. Currently yours doesn't work properly so you can't judge. Which is why I told you the flow rate so you can check if when working it would be ok.
IF you do go for a higher flow rate boiler/system you first need to make sure you have adequate mains pressure.[/quote]

GREAT ADVICE- It makes a great deal of sense, thanks. From what you've said, there IS a slim possibility, subjct to the MP, that the Jag may work as I require, when working at it's best. WATCH THIS SPACE!

I am not a great fan of unvented, mainly for reasons of cost vs return. But if you do have a demand for lots of flow on hot water, no combi will beat a properly installed large unvented cylinder.
That does mean you need a big (25 mm minimum, but better to use 32 mm) connection to the streetvalve, and adequate distribution e.g. 22 mm to the cylinder and bath.

• Thanks
Reactions: DAJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back