replacement car

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My micra is playing up (ps light) and prognosis looks glum.

Are mk3 clios ok for a car? They look ok but i am looking at ;

- mk3 clio
- polo
- i20
-fiesta

Thirdly, i saw a car on autotrader at a dealership 100 miles away from me, but is it best to stay local incase i get any problems?

Thanks in advance for advice

Sponsored Links
The Clio is much better than people think with no more particular faults than anything else. Three cylinder Polo's do have issues, there are loads of Fiestas about if that's what you want so choose carefully! The Hyundai is a good car, as is its sibling the Kia.
Finance is available from any dealer but make sure a HPI check has been done. If the car has a warranty it is best to buy local. I guess it all depends on the piggy bank!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Curiously enough, when the PS light comes on, it's not automatically the power steering pump that's knackered. Have you had a diagnostic done on the steering?

Hi John, just seen yr post. I already dropped it off to an auto electrician and waiting result. i think i may be my fault.. I started it up and drove off straight away, perhaps not giving it a chance to "initialise" so to speak and thats where the trouble started .. I usually always wait for dash board lights to go out.

First place I tried quoted £160 plus vat for a new column, 2nd place suggested reading the diagnostics which I read online so went to him.. £35 . . so it's in there now and waiting for his diagnosis.

am looking for a replacement car anyway.. just been looking at local garages and being pounced on by salesman..
barely had a chance to look under bonnet on a corsa and checked the oil (was filthy) .. then he pounced lol

btw, just seen something on the news about the government tightening up on MoT rules to make it harder for cars to pass

For sure I wouldn't worry about the 'new' MOT......a few more items to check but nothing to lose sleep over.
Interested to hear about the Micra result!

Lots of 1970's classics free of MOT + tax now (y)

Personally I'd avoid generic second hand car dealers. If its nearly new they are fine, but otherwise you are just getting a trade in, we buy any car or auction car, with a bit of polish on and warranty that you can buy yourself.

Bugger! Told there were 2 faults, ecu and motor?, anyway, was told 160 for refurb parts, or 800/1200 for new.

Oddly, i was expecting the car to be as normal but tje fault was cleared n had the steering back. Could buy a diagnostic reader and clear it myself if not too expensive

Had a look at a suzuki swift before a salesman locked onto me. Lookz canny good, think I'd prefer steel to alloys as my mum would be driving it too, :eek:z and she loves to go potholing unfortunately

Last edited:
I'd pick the Fiesta from that bunch. Also, if you're still looking, the Mazda 2 is a very close relative of the Fiesta and well worth a look. My daughter has a 2010 one and it has been faultless. It's the 85 bhp 1.3 engine (which if memory serves, has a chain-driven cam, so no cam belts to worry about either!

Sponsored Links
Back