Sponsored Links
I am replacing a class 1 ceiling pendant light with a new class 2 one. I am wondering what to do with the earth wire on the lighting circuit from the ceiling, as the new class 2 is (obviously) double insulated. On the old one (white) the earth was then connected to the ceiling bracket that the canopy screwed into.

IMG_3126.JPG
IMG_3127.JPG

The new one has the double insulated symbol on its canopy. Both the old and new lights are metal.

IMG_3129.JPG
IMG_3125.JPG

I was hoping this was going to be a straight swap. I was thinking of adding another terminal block for the earth wire from the circuit, and either reusing one of the earth connectors on the old light and attaching to the ceiling bracket of the new one, or just terminating it and taping it up. I think the only size I have here is 16amp block strip (How do you tell? One clear strip just says "380V", the other white block says "KL2" and "400V". The height of it is about 16mm). Is either of these correct and sufficient for double insulated (class 2) fixtures?

IMG_3128.JPG

All guidance greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Just put the earth wire in a bit of insulated connector block. You should not connect the earth to anything on the light fitting.

PS. Neither of those things are pendants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back