Replacement cooker socket & RCD - are they required ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just recently as a result of the new kitchen extension had a new consumer unit installed and will be having a new kitchen fitted in the very near future.

Currently have a double oven & hob and looking to replace with a range cooker. We've only had one quote so far (B&Q) and on the estimate they want to charge the following:

disconnect existing cooker socket @ £87.87

install radial socket inc cooker socket & RCD @ £461.83

My questions are :

1. can't they use the existing cooker socket ?

2. does the price seem high to you guys ?

Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Is the current cooker on it's own radial? Or is the socket cmin off the main ring?

I don't know - how would I find out ?

If this helps... on the consumer unit there is a seperate MCB marked Cooker

Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Seems a bit cheap, are they using qualified guys?

No seriously :) . I would need to know a bit more about the cable run to be able to comment on the price.

On the first part seems OK.

Martin

Have they been out to look at the job already?

It sounds like you possibly have a dedicated cooker radial circuit already-if this is the case maybe they are saying its not suitable to hook your new cooker up to.

Dont suppose you know the KiloWatt rating of the existing cookers and new cooker do you?

Hard to say without seeing the job but having had previous experience of BnQ with this kind of thing i would say that the pricing doesnt quite add up to me- seems very steep and i would be very wary.

Regards.

If you have had a new consumer unit installed in the last year then all circuits will / should have RCDs protecting them.

In that case they can remove the RCD part from:

thr62 wrote

disconnect existing cooker socket @ £87.87

Personally, i think they are trying to have your pants down with this qoute! :)

maybe that price includes them (or someone !) changing the whole CU for the house. Worse case figure or typical figure.

I'll do your whole kitchen for that.
Err how bigs your kitchen?
Defo pants are being pulled down and your arse is about to be slapped

Nearly £90 to disconnect the old circuit when putting a new one in? How very reasonable. :eek:

As already stated the kW of the new oven would be required to know what size cable would be required but there should be no need for an additional RCD. If they've quoted this after you have already had a new CU put in (presumably-as it's a requirement) with RCD protection then they either don't know what they are doing or are trying to have your pants down. Maybe both. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back