Replacement fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
would replacing a wooden panelled fence with a circa £35 odd ones which have been pressure treated, not require me to protect it or stain it at all?

Also if the existing concrete posts don't already have concrete gravel boards which has resulted in the existing 7 year old fence becoming rotten, is it too late to put gravel boards in between the posts now?

Sponsored Links
If the posts are sound then by all means reuse them. Adding gravel boards is always better and no problem on existing posts, just make sure the posts are still vertical as a small deviation will making fitting gravel boards difficult but not impossible.

As for treatment pressure treated wood is treated against common insect, fungal and other rot types. But the thing that will shorten the life span other than rot is uv exposure. The sun will dry out and in the long term damage the timber which is where stains and surface treatment help by blocking uv. Darker colours are most effective, blacks, browns and dark greens.

Thanks. How would I fit the gravel boards as the posts were put in years ago? Do they just slot in from the top like a fence panel?

Also what about dealing with the height of the replacement fence as I suppose it will now sit above the fence post height?

You'd need to slide the gravel boards from the top.
Not too bad if wooden boards but you can also get concrete "boards" so bloody heavy

You can bury the board partly to reduce it's height
Mine partly hold my garden up as it's 6" higher than my neighbour - so mine is 6" buried on my side and 6" high.

Even if you use wooden boards, they are cheaper to replace than panels if they rot.

A decent fence panel lasts a while and the paint on stuff is more appearance enhancement.
I don't do most of mine as plants grow over it

Sponsored Links
Thanks. How would I fit the gravel boards as the posts were put in years ago? Do they just slot in from the top like a fence panel?

Also what about dealing with the height of the replacement fence as I suppose it will now sit above the fence post height?
Yes, they just slot in from above. A 12" concrete gravel board is about 60Kg so unless you are massive you will probably need some help. You can get gravel boards with cut outs which lighten them a bit and you can get 6" gravel boards that are half the weight - no issue with putting two in if needed.

If you are reusing the old panels, it is possible to cut them down if needed. If fitting new ones, you just get smaller panels to accomodate the new gravel boards so if the old fence was 6' then a 12" gravel board and a 5' panel gives you the same height. No need for anything sticking up above the posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back