Replacement fibre washers for mixer shower bar.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've finally got round to looking at the drip on my shower.

It didn't drip loads, there was always just 1 drip hanging from 1 of the main fixing bolts and was turning it green.

I've taken it all apart thinking just some PTFE tape would sort it (will do this aswell anyway), but noticed these fibre washers look pretty worn and split.

At first I was Googling "paper washers" as I had no idea what they was called, but I've since gone in B&Q, Homebase, and Toolstation, saw they were called fibre washers, but can't find any that match the exact size!

Can someone help point me in the right direction please? :confused:
I don't know where to get them from!
I only need 2 lol.

Photos of where the washer goes and the current condition...

Thanks! :)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I went in 3 different plumbers merchants and finally found somewhere with the correct size fibre washers. And he gave them to me for free!

This bloke was the only person out of all the shops I went in that actually knew what he was talking about too. The place was called Plumbase.

I wish I'd asked him how to tighten them up though.

Do I nip it up proper tight straight away?
Or do I leave the bolt slightly loose so the fibre washer can swell up a bit, then tighten it right up.

If so, how long does it take for a fibre washer to swell up?
hours of running water through it? or 1 minute?

I'm also concerned about tightening it up too much and shredding the washer inside from the force of it.

cheers.

I used to just smear silicon grease on them and nip them up tad more than hand tight. The grease simply enables them to go a tad tighter.

For you wet them and do them tight as you can by hand then just nip it up a bit more. That should be enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back