Replacement for Potterton Profile 60e - Advice needed !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i think it's time to replace my potterton profile 60e, which is at least 12 years old. it had some problems last year and the PCB was replaced by a particularly unfriendly corgi engineer. last night it starting buzzing but was working and this morning it's been humming but hasn't ignited, so no heating and hot water just as the cold weather is coming back.

i know nothing about boilers, so i would really appreciate some recommendations of what unit i should consider replacing it with, and any rough guide of what i ought to expect to pay for purchase and installation. (london prices!)

this is a 3 story terraced house, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms but usually only 1-2 occupants.

thanks a lot,

earl

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the fan

get a friendly CORGI (or sound I say Gas safe registered) chap in to have a look

One of the best boilers EVER is the old Profile DO NOT CHANGE IT UNTIL IT IS COMPLETELY DEAD is my humble opinion

:)

have to agree with the above. These boilers are solid. 12 years old is only half way through its potential life. Definately sounds like the fan. Get someone in to replace it and put the sheckles towards something you actually need ;)

Sponsored Links
keep the boiler, last of the gretas that one. just need a good engineer is all.

thanks - you all seem to be pretty unanimous. replacing the PCB 15 months ago cost me nearly £400 so i was worried i might be throwing good money after bad having the 60e repaired again. (i see now that the PCB which i was charged about £250 + VAT for could've been bought online for less than half that).

i wonder if you would feel the same way if i showed you this fantastic installation by the 'professionals' that refurbished the house a couple of years before i bought it (when i presume the boiler was fitted) ...

View media item 8042 View media item 8043
i thought this might be time to get the whole thing replaced and fitted properly ...

but if you think i just need a pump, can i just buy one online and then book a registered engineer to fit it ?

... oh yes, and how do we find the good ones ?

cheers

oh myb thats pretty bad. the good ones dont necessarily advertise. freinds family and neighbors are where to start. to be honest you may be better off ripping out 'spaghetti junction and starting again. :cry:

nah hes joist moaning about your photo skillzzz :LOL: . get an eng out, let him know it 'may' be the fan and get your repair. then star saving for a repipe. its not urgent but that an effing mess. :LOL:

here's a wide shot so you can see the full glory in situ :-

View media item 8081
if it's going to cost £2-300 to get the fan fixed, then i don't mind shelling out now to get the whole unit replaced and all the piping redone.

if i go this route, please could you give me an idea of what that might cost, and also which boilers would be a suitable replacements ?

thanks a lot !

PS !!

on the other hand , it's getting colder and british gas seem to be offering a fixed fee repair for £210
http://www.britishgas.co.uk/product...nance-and-repair/central-heating-repairs.html

would this be a good idea for a quick fix ?

and should i expect to have any problems about the way the thing is currently installed ? last year's engineer made a big deal about it and made me sign something on the invoice that looks like it says "part p building reg elect to motorized valve taped up. customer agreed to leave elect box open."

i wouldn't want to pay for a repair and then have the engineer condemn me !

It might look bad, but its obviously functional, else it wouldn't have worked for the last 12+ years. One thing that would be recommended is to get some inhibitor into your system to try and prevent corrosion. Its likely that a badly piped system will encourage this. Personally I would say get the boiler fixed, if it be fan then BG price seems reasonable although a job like this for an independant would be about £150-£200. Try and get this idea out of your head about spending loads of money. Unless of course you want to?
If you mention anything to a BG engineer about replacing the boiler, they'll have a salesman round your house in no time.
Once the fault is repaired there's no reason why it won't last another 12years, ugly or not

i was coming round to the quick fix fan replacement recommendation but then the nice, recommended plumber came around this evening, took one look at the boiler / piping and said the inevitable "you ought to get that replaced."

he's going to check the fan cost tomorrow and let me know what it would cost to have it replaced, but he did end up doing and estimate for a complete replacement ... which came to £3100 ...

he's recommended a Viessmen Vitodens 100-W combi (he's an authorised installer). obviously there is a lot of pipe work to be done. the gas input pipe is too small for a combi - needs to be 22mm - and it looks like that might involve digging up part of the floor and dismantling some kitchen units because we couldn't find where the pipe comes into the kitchen (extension) from. plus removing the two water tanks & the immersion from upstairs and all the making good. comes to £2500.

then apparently all the radiators (10 of them) need to have thermostats fitted, which would add another £600 for 10 drayton trv's.

it all sounds like a lot money, but does the quote sound within reason ?

cheers for all your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back