Replacement for Potterton Profile 60e - Advice needed !

Sponsored Links
Why a combi?

did he check the water flow rate?

he recommended a combi. i honestly don't know enough about the benefits over a conventional boiler.

no, he didn't check the water flow rate ... please elaborate ...

Why a combi?

did he check the water flow rate?

he recommended a combi. i honestly don't know enough about the benefits over a conventional boiler.

no, he didn't check the water flow rate ... please elaborate ...

need a decent flow rate into a property for a combi

get a second opinion if he just recommended a combi without carrying out even the minimum test

thanks -

you all seem to be pretty unanimous. replacing the PCB 15 months ago cost me nearly £400

cheers

It could not have been me then! Not only am I friendly but would only have charged about £178 !

For the fan replacement it would be fan at cost plus £84 which is probably not much cheaper than BG with a genuine makers fan.

I dont see any advantage to replace the boiler with a combi either! The price for TRVs at £60 is about 80% more than we would charge.

My rule of thumb pricing for that combi with TRVs and 22 mm gas supply comes to about £2590 but does not include digging up concrete floors! So his quote is not that unreasonable but in the current climate you could get it done a bit cheaper.

Just replacing the boiler with say a Worcester 18Ri on my rule of thumb would be about £2190 to include TRVs and a 22 mm gas pipe.

However, if the cylinder is bare copper then its strongly recommended to replace it, about £300 extra. If its brown/yellow foam then its recommended but if green or blue foam then thats not necessary.

Tony

Sponsored Links
then apparently all the radiators (10 of them) need to have thermostats fitted, which would add another £600 for 10 drayton trv's.

:eek:

Ten drayton TRVs X £18 @ B&Q and no more than 20 mins per rad to fit.

Personally I would go with Danfoss valves at £8 but that's just me :)

Got to say that, it does look a bit of a mess.
That said, looks like the pump etc are easily got to. Think i would box-in above the boiler, making it removable when required.

PS Keep the 60e....one of the best as already said.

potterton profile & s-plan Vs combi

expect more breakdowns ...

not sure what you mean by this ...

potterton profile & s-plan Vs combi

expect more breakdowns ...

but the fan is fixed now and i'll think about what to do in the long term - and get some other quotes / recommendations - when it gets a bit warmer.

it cost £247 for parts, labour and a service - haven't had one of those for a while - but today was one day too many for me without heat and i was desperate.

My old mum has a Profile 100E

It never goes wrong

I gave it a chemical clean and fitted a Magnaclean lat year as it was quite dirty inside. I also fitted some TRVs for her, myself at not much cost (simple DIY plumbing) and a new programmer and wall stat.

Combis go wrong a lot more often, even though Viessmann is a top brand, their 100 Combi does not have as good a reputation as their larger boilers (I have a 100 Compact, non-combi, very simple, looks nice quality to me)

IMO lots of installers like to fit combis because they are easy. I think they are often not so good for the householder, though, as you can only successfully run one hot bath OR one hot shower OR one hot sink tap at a time unless you get something quite exotic.

Run the kitchen sink cold tap into a bucket and see how many litres per minute it delivers. That is the maximum amount of water you will get, hot and cold together, when running your bath.

I bet the old cylinder fills it faster than that.

I am a householder not a pro.

Some people will say I am old fashioned for liking cylinders, but impressing heating engineers is not one of my ambitions.

it cost £247 for parts, labour and a service - haven't had one of those for a while - but today was one day too many for me without heat and i was desperate.

Oh well, only about £37 more than we would have charged!

And about £27 more than BG would have charged perhaps.

Now you can keep it going for another few years.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back