Replacement inline extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, the inline extractor fan in my shower recently gave up and I have now removed it and I strongly suspect it was installed when the house was built ~30yrs ago. Any thoughts on a suitable one-for-one replacement? Lablel picture attached and it is on the same switch as the shower light i.e. comes on and off with the light.

Attachments

• 20240224_100730.jpg
    20240224_100730.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
Does this fan run on after the light goes out (ie a timer fan?)

If it is not a timer fan then I recently installed one of these to replace my dead one

If you need a timer one then here's your option

Seems pretty good and not too noisy, also reasonably cheap. there are many more like this around.

Sponsored Links
Stand back and take a wider pic please.

There are some that are quieter and more powerful and use negligible electricity.

If you can convert it to timed wiring, you can probably set it to dry out the bathroom after a steamy shower, even with the light turned off.

Wider pic here. Converting to timer might be problematic as it didn't have a switched live connection and the junction box that supplied the fan and the light has live, neutral, earth (all connected to both light and fan) and an unconnected grey cable, which is a new one on me.....

Attachments

• 20240224_123010.jpg
    20240224_123010.jpg
    395.7 KB · Views: 22
I suppose it has a 4inch duct?

The permanent live is usually at the ceiling rose in UK houses, but in any case runs from the circuit to the switch.

The extraction rate seems to be surprisingly low. I would have thought inadequate.

The Soler & Palau have a much better rate, and is a very good fan, with ball bearing motor.

Here are a couple of examples. I have shown Timer models as that is what I recommend. You can click for the full range. The number indicated nominal flow, in cubic metres per hour.

They are a bit expensive.

There are cheaper brands.

I know today we have a whole range of wireless switches and relays, but is it worth it? I felt the same about my central heating system heating the DHW in the summer. No option for hard wires, did find a wireless tank thermostat, but it would cost around £100 so never bothered, I did spend a lot more than that in the end, and have an iboost+ which has a wireless connection to my meter box so uses excess solar power, part of the solar package, don't think it will ever pay for its self.

At £20 for one same as failed, so simple to fit, is it worth the effort to improve it? I found this bathroom no sign of mould even with no fan, but old house in Mold, that did have a mould problem, so I sat back an pondered why, and realised all down to a gap under the shower door, in Mold it was over the bath, so could not seal under the door even if I wanted, and when using the shower the thermals distributed the moisture through whole bathroom, here I have a shower room with no bath, and the cubical seals at the bottom, so moisture stays within cubical.

So if the old fan was good enough just replace it like for like, if it was not good enough OK then look for some thing better. Ideal to my mind is for the fan to activate for set time when light is turned off, don't want cold air circulating around the room when having a shower, one it gets me cold, and two it can draw the damp air into the rest of the room, it is when I have finished in the shower I want the moisture removing, when all that would naturally run down the drain has already run away and I only want to remove what's left in the air.

I know the fan if no opening window under building regulations needs a 15 minute run on, but it does not need to be powered by lights, in fact when the regs first came out you had to have a way to run fan without turning on the lights, but this was dropped, so a simple pneumatic push switch which the user can manually press is within the regulations, and you can opt to press it going in or out of shower.

But if the system works why change it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back