Replacement lighting - Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage which about the normal size for mid-sized saloon.

Has a 8ft tube down the centre and a 5ft tube across each end of the long tube like an I.

The lights are some 20 years old and having to change the starters more often.

What lighting of today would be best suited to replace the Florescent lighting.

The garage is often used as a workshop for my son repairing his car or myself with DIY at one end.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Fluorescents are still competitive in terms of efficiency.

One of our regulars, ericmark, has experience of replacing fluorescent tubes with LED ones, and IIRC it is very much not a no-brainer - hopefully he'll pop up and share what he knows.

Modern fittings with high-frequency electronic control gear instead of the old ballast and starter system are more efficient, quicker to start, and a lot safer if you're going to be working on rotating machinery, as the strobing danger goes away.

Putting aside the replacement of ageing bits, how do you find the lighting you have?

Newer florescent lighting. Not sure though why the starters are not lasting. Perhaps you could try electronic starters for the 5 foot lights. The 8 foot is obsolete and could be replaced with two 4 foot units end to end.

Thanks,
The 8ft is not too bad, but the the 5fts are more troublesome. Renewed starters new electronic type for the rating of the tubes 7myhs ago. The tubes don't flicker, just take so long to start or not at all.

The 5ft's are the slimlines and the 8ft is the old fat type.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back