Replacement mains front door height threshold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How high above the current finished floor tile level, should a new front mains door threshold sit, ideally?

Sponsored Links
Really? I always thought there was a slight lip, maybe 30mm or so. My parent's house has a lip too but I need to check the height.

older ones often have a bullnose sill.

Newer ones are likely to be designed for level access so you can get your wheelchair inside one day.

Sponsored Links
Really? I always thought there was a slight lip, maybe 30mm or so. My parent's house has a lip too but I need to check the height.

You asked how it should sit ideally, and ideally it should be flush.

Many are installed that are not ideal, so that's no use as a reference

So ideally flush but what is the max allowed internal and external?

Sorry to hijack but I'm interested as I don't really deal with newbuilds but may oneday

So ideally flush but what is the max allowed internal and external?

Sorry to hijack but I'm interested as I don't really deal with newbuilds but may oneday

I don't know if there is a standard. There might be, but nothing comes to mind.

Typically the finished floor is level with the DPC, and then the door frame would be fitted on the DPC, so you would get the thickness of the cill (and mortar joint) above the floor - 40-mm or so for a timber cill and what, 50-60mm (?) for a plastic cill and frame. But that's always a bit crap.

You might want the top of the cill to be flush with the floor covering, so potentially it could sit 15mm or so higher to allow for carpet or tiles. Or a metal storm threshold could deal with floor coverings in which case the cill/threshold would be flush with the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back