Replacement plastic Soil Stack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got up close and personal to our soil stack yesterday as I am looking to get it painted black to match the new black downpipes we have had fitted.

It was then that I noticed the damp area you can see on the attached photos, it would appear that the leak is where the waste outlet exits the wall to join the stack.
Given that I want to change the colour anyway is it worthwhile fixing the leak (how?) and then painting the existing stack or should I just bite the bullet and get the whole thing replaced with a new black one?

Any ideas on cost of long term repair versus replacement would be much appreciated.

Thanks, (not sure how long problem has existed - absolutely no sign of damp anywhere inside the house so I am assuming that the leak is only affecting the outer leaf of the cavity wall).

Thanks
IMG_20220715_095422709_HDR.png
IMG_20220716_133024039_HDR.png
IMG_20220716_133036634_HDR.png

Sponsored Links
The Manufacturers of plastic pipework often recommend their products are painted with a propriety gloss paint to protect them from degradation from the UV in sunlight, so painting what you have is always a good idea.

It would also be far cheaper to repair the leak than replace the stack. Cant quite tell if thats a rubber insert in the Boss Adapter or the plastic collar and broken off, allowing the pipe to move and this leak. Silicone or Denso tape would seal it, silicone can be painted over.

Thanks for the reply, the plastic collar on the boss adaptor has in fact broken off but that is not where the leak is coming from. If you look at where the soil pipe exits the wall you can see an area where the surrounding mortar has lifted and is breaking away (bottom of pipe) - that is where the leak originates.

I am assuming that there is a joint in the pipe just set back a bit from the face of the brickwork which has been covered by the mortar around the exit pipe. I can try chipping off the mortar around the pipe to gain access but I am not sure what I can do to effectively reseal the leaking joint.

could it be the WC branch where it goes through the wall ?

Sponsored Links
In that case then, I would be looking to replace the middle section and through the wall, if above and below that is still ok, graft a new section in to suit. Then paint so it all matches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back