Quieting a noisy soil stack

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,
I have a three-level, end of terrace house. It has an internal soil stack (black PVC), and it can be noisy. When people on higher levels flush, it is very audible in the sitting room. The stack doesn't pass through the sitting room. It passes through a small groundfloor WC surrounded by drywall, but the sound still escapes into the sitting room and hall. The first floor is a hollowcore slab and this might have implications for alterations. So I am looking at ways to quieten the system. I could open up the boxed in soil stack in the bathroom and surround the pipe with pipe insulation. I was told this could reduce the sound by about 10 decibels (equivalent to 50% reduction). I wonder would it be a better investment to just cut out this section of the soil stack from the ground level to the hollowcore slab and replace with an acoustic soil stack pipe that doesnt leak noise and restore the drywall. I wonder would people here have any thoughts and suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I could open up the boxed in soil stack in the bathroom

I would try this and fill the boxing in with acoustic fibreglass insulation. Also check the soil pipe isn't touching any part of the boxing in, walls, or ceiling which can make any noise travel easier.

replace with an acoustic soil stack pipe
Acoustic soil pipe doesn't absorb sound and stop it from 'leaking'.

Acoustic soil pipe has an ultra smooth internal surface so when water runs over it on a horizontal run, it minimises the creation of turbulence (noise).
On a vertical drop you will always have turbulent water that is inherently noisy, therefore the best solution is pack the void between the pipe and box section with sound absorbing material.

Acoustic soil pipe doesn't absorb sound and stop it from 'leaking'.

Acoustic soil pipe has an ultra smooth internal surface so when water runs over it on a horizontal run, it minimises the creation of turbulence (noise).
On a vertical drop you will always have turbulent water that is inherently noisy, therefore the best solution is pack the void between the pipe and box section with sound absorbing material.
What about those old style cast iron pipes. Seem to be very much confined to old buildings in the UK but I heard of Americans using them in new builds for quietness

Sponsored Links
With cast, it's a much thicker wall and heavier/more dense construction, so it doesn't resonate the same way plastic does.

That being said, it still isn't totally silent either, more so the older it gets as it delaminates slowly inside and gets more turbulent.

Cheers lads. I will aim then to open up, wrap with acoustic pipe insulation, use the oppertunity to install unrelated cabling behind and then packe in dense rockwoolslab in the remaining space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back