Replacement Roof Tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How is it that following the recent storms, I am left with this gap and two exposed nails protruding approx 1.5cm. Do I need to drill two holes in a new tile to accept these nails?

Thanks
100_1048.JPG

100_1048.JPG

Sponsored Links
You will have difficulty lining up exactly to reuse the holes in existing slates and it looks like the one on the right has been drilled/nailed before. I would remove the two nails and just refit close to the old position. Probably not a bad idea to drill a pilot through especially if the old slates underneath are a bit brittle.
Don't forget the tingle that holds the bottom of the slate down.

It's a bespoke fixing usually made of copper I think. Needs to have a broad, flat head to sit fixed under the two tiles it will be fitted between.
I would add that your slate may have been repaired before as those nails sticking out would normally be nailed flat to the slates they are on now, covered by the missing slate. The missing slate would likely have originally been fixed in place by two nails further up and now inaccessible.

Sponsored Links
Could I not just hammer down these two protruding nails a little, then fit new tile with a thin nail acting as a tingle as shown on other tiles in photo?

Knock those nails flat and then check your new tile fits ok then glue it in place with some mastic, squirt a 3" vertical line either side of those nails install the new tile and press flat
geocell 201 is good stuff.

exactly the rivets stop the artificial slates curling up in the heat of the sun.
You need to bang those nails back in and fit a copper or lead strap, that hangs down below the bottom of the missing slate, on top by nailing it down between the two slates into the batten, then slide a new slate up into place on top, making sure that the top of that slate sits on top of the next batten up. then bend the lead/copper strap up over the bottom of the new slate to stop it sliding back down. you probably won't be able to fit a new rivet due to the strap, but this will also serve the same purpose, although you could swing it to one side slightly to allow you to fit a rivet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back