Replacement Single Oven - 13A or 16A

As a matter of interest, are you saying that because you do not believe in the application of diversity for cooking appliances at all (i.e. you believe that a 32A 'cooker circuit' should not be used to supply cooking appliances which represent a total maximum load of more than 7.36 kW), or is it because you feel, specifically, that diversity should not be applied to a single oven?

Kind Regards, John

I never said I don't believe in the application of diversity. I said that an SO is limited to a maximum load of 13A (2990W).

Sponsored Links
I never said I don't believe in the application of diversity. I said that an SO is limited to a maximum load of 13A (2990W).
Yes,. but if you do believe in the application of diversity to an oven, then the maximum after-diversity load presented by a "3600 kW" oven is about 11.7A (~2690kW) - which is obviously less than 13A/2990kW.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm fine with a large current going thru and MCB for a few seconds.

In self cleaning mode max is "4.80 kWh" 20A

I don't see how you can apply diversity to a single oven. It's either on or off.
Well in this case it appear to be between 15 - 20A. Either way its a good few amps ABOVE 13

20A for an hour. ... A 13A fuse might survive, but that's way out of the operating windows of plugs and sockets.
I agree - but where did this "20A (4.8 kW) for an hour" come from? - it's the first I've heard of it, and it isn't really compatible with the manufacturers saying that the oven requires a 16A supply. If that sort of thing is typical, it sounds as if we should be wondering whether it was appropriate to apply diversity to self-cleaning ovens.

I'm fine with a large current going thru and MCB for a few seconds.
If everything were turned on simultaneously (from cold) on a large cooker on a 32A circuit, then 50-60A could easily flow for a lot more than a few seconds (before everything 'got up to temperature'), but traditional diversity calculation would say that it was OK.
In self cleaning mode max is "4.80 kWh" 20A .... I don't see how you can apply diversity to a single oven. It's either on or off.
As I've just written, I'm rather surprised/shocked by this "4.8kW for an hour". However, more generally, the fact that something is either 'on' or 'off' (in contrast to this 'self-cleaning mode', which appears to be 'continuously on') does not, in itself, preclude application of the concept of diversity ('over time').

Kind Regards, John

I guess someone must have read the link in the first post.
Ah - I didn't see it initially, I've just found it - under "Additional Information - Consumption Values".

However, it is NOT 4.8 kW but, in fact, 4.8 kWh. How much current that corresponds to will therefore depend upon the duration of the "e cons pyrol self-clean" cycle. Under "Connection" it says that the "Electric Connection Rating" is 3600W.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: too slow again!

Right ....

upload_2019-5-13_19-4-37.png

If the cleaning cycle takes 1.25 - 2 hours, and consumes 2.5 - 4.7 kWh, that implies a power consumption of 2 - 2.35 kW (i.e. 8.7A - 10.2A) - well within the capabilities of a 13A fuse (and 13A plug/socket).

Kind Regards, John

I agree - but where did this "20A (4.8 kW) for an hour" come from? - it's the first I've heard of it, and it isn't really compatible with the manufacturers saying that the oven requires a 16A supply. If that sort of thing is typical, it sounds as if we should be wondering whether it was appropriate to apply diversity to self-cleaning ovens.
I guess someone must have read the link in the first post.

I've just read it, and I have found where it says that the energy consumption is 4.8kWh, but not where it says that it draws 20A. Where did you find that?

I've just read it, and I have found where it says that the energy consumption is 4.8kWh, but not where it says that it draws 20A. Where did you find that?
See what I've just posted. It would appear that the truth is something in the range 8.7 - 10.2 A, well within the range of a 13A fuse/plug/socket. I therefore withdraw my comment that we might need to reconsider whether it is appropriate to apply diversity to self-cleaning ovens!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back