Replacement thermostat that I can control remotely.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Morco Series III GB24 combi boiler connected to a ESI ESRTP4+ thermostat. What I would like is a thermostat that I can access remotely i.e. through the internet, so I can control the temperature from afar.

Looking inside the boiler there are two wires (blue/brown and labelled room stat) going to the thermostat but that's it. No third wire or anything.

I've searched on here for answers and Nest e has been mentioned. But do I need additional wiring here for a 'smart' thermostat?

Sponsored Links
It depends on how it’s connected could be opentherm or could be mains/extra low voltage. Opening the cover on your boiler should be checked for safety afterwards. Esi do a wifi stat if you like the existing? ESRTP5WiFi. Failing that you need a battery operated Wi-Fi one or opentherm one.

Thank you for your prompt response CBW. I am not at the property until Thursday. Will check the actual wall mounted thermostat for connections (should have done that I know).

The product information on the ESRTP4+ does mention OpenTherm communication

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thank you for your prompt response CBW. I am not at the property until Thursday. Will check the actual wall mounted thermostat for connections (should have done that I know).

The product information on the ESRTP4+ does mention OpenTherm communication
Your boiler supports Opentherm so hopefully the existing thermostat is connected correctly but there's a good chance that the original installer didnt even know what Opentherm was.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your help. The ESRTP4+ was N/O + COM wired only (not OpenTherm) so I went for a Nest E. Did look at the Tado option as we have that at our main address but thought the Nest E looked better for the wife who struggles with technology (or to be more exact, cant be bothered with it).

All installed in 15 minutes. And happy with it. Was lucky with the existing thermostat wiring - plenty spare. And it was a easy as using the existing wall plugs as they matched up with the base.

The installation is in a lodge we have so being able to control it remotely is very useful.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back